We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on 7 day self-drive itinerary

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on 7 day self-drive itinerary

I am taking my girlfriend to Ireland in November and would like some input on possible itineraries. I currently have two ideas and would love some feedback. Note: I have been to Ireland 5 times myself, but want to make sure I show her a good flavor of the country since this is her first time.

We are flying in/out of Shannon and will have a rental car for the week. (Fri morning to Thurs morning)

Plan A (and this seems to be what I am leaning more towards)

Fri and Sat - 2 nights in Galway - drive around Connemara, visit Doolin/Lahinch/Kilfenora, explore Galway

Sun and Mon - 2 nights in Dublin

Tuesday - drive through Wicklow mountains to Kilkenny, spend night in Kilkenny

Wednesday - drive through Cashel and Adare and spend last night near Shannon

Thurs flight is at 9 AM from Shannon

Plan B has us going to the southwest and through Cork

Fri and Sat in Tralee/Dingle/Killarney or somewhere in Kerry,

Sun in Cork/Cobh/Kinsale,

Mon and Tues heading to Dublin

Wed drive west through Galway and western Clare on our last day (ending near Shannon).

Honestly my biggest concern is taking on too much driving throughout the trip. I want to explore but not go over the top, yet still show her the best of Ireland (we can stay clear of some of the real touristy locations). We plan to stay in B&Bs and hope to find some hidden gem towns on our travels.

So I guess my real question is Galway/Connemara or Dingle/Kerry/Cork? I definitely want her to see some of Dublin.

Thanks for your input!

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,195 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on 7 day self-drive itinerary

I think plan A seems less driving which would be a concern for me inNovember, there's not a lot of daylight once the clocks change. What will you do with the car in Dublin?

Dubai
Level Contributor
76 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on 7 day self-drive itinerary

Terry, your plan A is very similar to the itinerary I have in mind for our trip this October. I guess it all boils down to what are you missing when you don't visit Kerry/Cork. Does it make sense if you drive out to Cork for a day from Dublin? I hear its 2,5 hours drive on a good day. Again I myself am planning a trip now to Ireland, never been there before but very interested to see what others say about this as it could help us plan too.

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,869 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on 7 day self-drive itinerary

I think you could toss a coin, as both itineries are good - as a matter of curiousity, I did a rough calculation on the distances for both plans, and there is not much difference - plan B is would probably be about 50/60 miles longer. When I read your post, my initial choice was Plan A and I think I would still stick with that. On your way to Dublin from Galway, you could call in see Clonmacnoise, an old monastic settlement founded in the 6th century. You have not mentioned it, but on your way to Kilkenny over the Wicklow mountains, you should call in to see Glendalough. And when travelling from Kilkenny to Shannon, you should consider a visit to Cahir Castle, which is on your route and about 20 minutes after Cashel.

Do keep in mind that it will be dark by 4.30PM, so early start each day would be recommended.

The question was asked - "Does it make sense if you drive out to Cork for a day from Dublin? I hear its 2,5 hours drive on a good day." My answer is, absolutely not, in the context of your Plan A itinerary.

Fanore, County Clare
Level Contributor
680 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on 7 day self-drive itinerary

Many bed and breakfasts close at the end of October so do some research in advance.

5. Re: Advice on 7 day self-drive itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2015, 06:16