We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flight interval times.

Grafton, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
flight interval times.

Hi everyone,

After all these years planning, we have finally booked our flights from Australia and most of our accommodation for May next year.

After spending a week in Paris and London we will travel around parts of Ireland for a month. We have booked a cottage in Kenmare for our last week there.

Our plane leaves Heathrow at 5pm on June 3rd for Brisbane, Australia.

My query.

Initially, I planned to book the 12.50 flight to Heathrow from Cork, which would give us nearly four hours to catch our international flight to Australia. However, as this is our first trip OS and we are novices, I wanted to ask whether you think the time frame is too small.

Any comments and suggestions for a better plan welcome.

Best Seller
Northern Ireland Highlights Day Trip...
674 reviews
from US$80.80*
Best Seller
Cliffs of Moher Tour and Galway from...
540 reviews
from US$56.00*
Best Seller
Cliffs of Moher Day Trip from Dublin
1,203 reviews
from US$62.20*
Best Seller
Blarney Castle and Cork Day Trip from...
1,056 reviews
from US$68.40*
Dublin
Level Contributor
1,873 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: flight interval times.

I am one of these people that would prefer to be way too early for my flight, rather than just one minute late. The 12.50 flight will give you less than 3 hours at Heathrow for your 5.00PM flight. It should be OK, but it depends ....... if you are booking separate flights, rather than a ticket from Ireland to Oz via Heathrow where you could check in your luggage all the way through to Oz, then time might be a bit on the tight side if any unforseen delays occur, as you would have to first collect your luggage in Heathrow from the Cork/Heathrow flight, then go through the full process of checking it in for the Heathrow/Oz flight. It's quite a while since I have travelled through Heathrow, but I always found it slow, but perhaps things have improved. Also, if you are booking the flights separately, and if there is a delay between Cork/Heathrow, then it is your problem if you miss the Heathrow/Oz flight, whereas if Cork/Heathrow/Oz is booked on the one ticket, it is the airlines problem to get you sorted.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
20,810 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: flight interval times.

as you have not booked your flight from cork, it would appear that you do not have a through ticket. however, it may be possible for your luggage to be transferred automatically to your oz bound plane.

flight from cork will land at terminal 2 whereas your flight to oz will be from terminal 5 (as far as i know). transfer can be a little slow and complicated, and if your cork flight is delayed, you may not have very much time to play with. i would suggest an earlier flight from cork.

Grafton, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: flight interval times.

Thank you for your comments and suggestions.

I made a mistake with times. The plane leaves Cork at 11.50, not 12.50 and gets into Heathrow at 1.10pm.

No we don't have a through ticket so we would have to collect luggage and then book it through again. Our plane leaves from Terminal 3.

Do you still think we should leave on the early morning flight? Maybe Shannon has a mid morning flight.

I will check.

Thank you again for your advice.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,653 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: flight interval times.

There is a flight from Shannon to Heathrow at 8.45am every day. The flight arrives in to Heathrow at 10.15 am. That is probably a more prudent approach.

Grafton, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: flight interval times.

Thanks Bean.

I realize that if it's worrying me, the timing is too close!

What time would you suggest we need to be at the airport?

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,823 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: flight interval times.

say a mininum of 90 minutes

" expect the unexpected "

good luck.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,653 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: flight interval times.

June the 3rd is a Wednesday. The secondary schools will be off and the Leaving Certificate will be starting that day.

While you only need to check in 60 minutes before a European flight, you will need to leave a lot of time coming from Kenmare to Shannon.

routes.aaireland.ie suggest that you will need 2h21 minutes to make the journey from the centre of Kenmare town to Shannon Airport. One should always add on 10% - 15% to these times. But I think you will need to allow yourself a minimum of 3h15 minutes. And add on more time to leave back your car.

Take the Shannon Tunnel (toll €1.90 one way - current price). You are likely to get caught in traffic in Adare Village but there is no practical alternative.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
17,201 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: flight interval times.

Greetings!

Bean, has posted you spot-on advice, as well as, fenlaDublin & nakagoli. In regards to vehicle return, I have whizzed through, in 5 min., & have had, up to a 20+ min. wait, (folks returning vehicles, at the same time, or, waiting for transport to the terminal). You don't want to miss any connection.

Come & Enjoy!

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
14,307 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: flight interval times.

I guess you have a non-flexible ticket home in which case it would be a very expensive mistake to miss that flight - just think of the consequences and costs of a ticket bought on the day, possible overnight in London etc. etc. Something like 15% of flights are delayed - fortunately mostly for less than an hour - but I've had long delays and cancelled flights where I've had to wait until the next day.

Check if your travel insurance covers you for delays and make sure you fulfill its requirements - mine covers me for costs if the delay is 2 hours or more which means I still have to have time to make that connection if the flight is 1 hr and 59 mins late - so I add 2 hours to the time for collecting baggage on arrival and time to check-in/security etc., which usually means a 4 - 5 hour connection if it's not a through ticket.

If you don't have insurance with cover for delays then get it.

Edited: 10 August 2014, 16:11
Dublin
Level Contributor
1,873 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: flight interval times.

There is a 7.35AM flight from Cork to Heathrow. While that is an hour earlier than the flight from Shannon, I wonder might it not be an easier journey from Kenmare (96km), rather than driving to Shannon (176Km), which will take about an hour longer, and you would not have to be getting up much earlier, as you have a shorter car journey time. And if you book now, the fare is only €50. Just a thought.