We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Off to the Races! Live Trip Report Day 3 - Dingle

South Florida...
Destination Expert
for Miami, Key Largo
Level Contributor
3,644 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Off to the Races! Live Trip Report Day 3 - Dingle

Live trip report day 3. Here is the link to yesterday. tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g186591-i88-k770514…

DH and I were up a bit early (for us!) so he could do a little fishing on the lake this morning at a Dromoland Castle. We noshed on the digestives and fruit we had in the room enjoyed the complementary coffee from the gallery then went to pick up a rod and get the boat ready. It was a little row boat - the sun was out as DH rowed over to what was obviously (to him) the spot to fish. A little casting and perhaps time to move the boat. The swans came over to give some advice. The cloudy sky started to spit a little rain so we rowed back to shore, I hopped out and DH kept fishing. In the end, he commented that they call it fishing, not catching, for a reason! Although some of the lily pads were caught. I went to wake the kids so we could re-create some pictures of our visit 20 years ago...DH and DS feeding ducks....all 3 of us in a boat. Very sweet although DS now towers over us. Of course a bit rainier at this point but we got the pics (the digestives came in handy with the ducks). Time to pack up, load up and get underway. Dromoland was a huge splurge for us but worth it for the memories. I will try to return before another 20 years go by. I was glad we didn't spend our first day here as net lag was an issue.

I had planned on the ferry but decided to follow the GPS which took us to the Limerick tunnel. A quick drive on nice roads. We stopped in Adare for lunch - a nice surprise since I hadn't thought we would make it there. Had a very tasty lunch in the Great Room restaurant. We nixed the walk after as traffic was crazy, the town was packed and we wanted to get back on the road. The sun came back out and we made our way to Dingle. Passed the race track along the way and so turned off to watch the races. Loved the atmosphere and betting (would have preferred a little more winning - not quite enough to buy a beer) Some races were horses, some were ponies. Was a bit of concern in one race as a rider was thrown before the start. The jockey was more of a trooper than I would be -- she was up and back on the horse for the race.

We left shortly before the last race as the rain was threatening again. Found our B&B on John Street and got settled in. Stephen, our host, tells us that the town is packed due to the races so I'm glad I had made dinner reservations (at Fentons).

Fentons was fabulous. Local products beautifully prepared. The desserts looked tempting but I had heard so much about Murphy's ice cream that we had to try that. Oh, so good! Sea salt, Irish coffee, butterscotch and more. Will likely have to return here! Wandered down to the pier area at Stephens suggestion to avoid packed bars from the race crowd. Enjoyed some music, DD tried cider ( thanks Bean!) and we played a password like game on DDs phone. Given all our shared history, some of the clues we very funny ( to us anyway) but would have been incomprehensible to others

We are having an amazing trip. Can't believe it's just been 3 days. Will be happy not to change locations for day 4. We are going to get a picnic and enjoy the Dingle peninsula.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,229 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Off to the Races! Live Trip Report Day 3 - Dingle

Lovely report. Dingle gets really hectic during the races, but you seem to be enjoying it

Moosup, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,533 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Off to the Races! Live Trip Report Day 3 - Dingle

reading your report and enjoying the trip with you. Where are we going today...Blasket island?

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,046 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Off to the Races! Live Trip Report Day 3 - Dingle

Another enjoyable read, keymom.

I am so glad ye chilled out and enjoyed Dromoland. I always think it is such a waste when people check in and use it as a place to sleep for the night.

Hope ye had a nice day on the Penninsula.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
393 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Off to the Races! Live Trip Report Day 3 - Dingle

Enjoying your trip reports! And admiring you have the time and energy to do them "live"!

5. Re: Off to the Races! Live Trip Report Day 3 - Dingle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2015, 06:16