We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a self-drive itinerary for 7 days

Bloomington...
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Planning a self-drive itinerary for 7 days

I am in the very early stages of planning the itinerary for our first trip to Ireland in May of 2016. There will be 4 of us (two couples) traveling together.

Our plan would be to fly into Dublin and spend the first night there. From there we would drive to Cork and spend two nights, then two nights in Kerry and one night in Co. Clare. We would then depart for home from Shannon.

Some of the questions I have are -

1) Is this a realistic plan?

2) What sites should we see along our way?

3) Is it better to take an inland route or a costal route?

4) Since our trip isn't until 2016, when should we start making our reservations?

Any help anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mary

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a self-drive itinerary for 7 days

'Is this a realistic plan?' - Whether the plan is realistic or not, depends on what you are trying to pack in, in those six days - you could spend the entire time in Kerry and still not see all there is to be seen and experienced.

What sites should we see along our way?' - ' I think you need to be a bit more specific with details, in so far as, what parts of Kerry and Clare do you intend visiting - what do you want to see in those counties. What do you want to see in Cork - is it Cork city that you are referring to, or County Cork, is there a particular reason that you want to go to Cork. What are your interests - no point in anyone recommending things to see, when you might not be remotely interested in them.

"Is it better to take an inland route or a costal route?" - from where to where?

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,398 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a self-drive itinerary for 7 days

Responses below prefixed by @@@@

1) Is this a realistic plan?

@@@@ Yes it is realistic. Now you need to start thinking about details, but loads of time to consider those. It's a short trip, so in this case, it will be best that your itinerary is very specific.

2) What sites should we see along our way?

@@@@ Do not worry. There will be plenty for you to see based on what you have posted so far. Plenty of time to research that.

3) Is it better to take an inland route or a costal route?

@@@@ To get to a location quickly, use the inland routes, to meander - use the coastal routes. In your case, I estimate that you will want to quickly get to your location and then explore from there. So, it looks like you will be using inland routes.

4) Since our trip isn't until 2016, when should we start making our reservations?

@@@@ You can start making reservations in 2016. What month will you be travelling?

Enjoy the planning. (My favourite part of the trip !)

3. Re: Planning a self-drive itinerary for 7 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2015, 05:17