We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fixation with Sheep

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
12,465 posts
125 reviews
Save Topic
Fixation with Sheep

No smutty thoughts please ! I am intrigued as to how many posters here want to see sheep and will even pay to see a collie work them . Surely there are sheep where most if you come from?? :)

Sacramento
Level Contributor
250 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fixation with Sheep

I'm headed to Ireland in two months, but I will likely see sheep next month on my grandmother-in-law's farm in Iowa. And I see them regularly here in California, so I don't understand the fascination with them myself. I may have to seek some out in Ireland though, because I'm sure they'll have delightful accents. ;-)

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
56,555 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fixation with Sheep

When people ask me if they should see sheep in Ireland I always say "it's up to ewe" !

Sorry...

But seriously....I don't think I've seen a sheep in America in years. Haven't really been looking for one either (honest!) , but in my immediate part of the world it's not a lot of farming anyway, and it's likely to be cows grazing or horses in the field. So I kind of "get" the association with sheep and Ireland. Like it or not they are part of the stereotypical tourist view of all things Irish.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
17,213 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fixation with Sheep

Greetings Harvey,

Years ago, had them on the farm. There are a number of farms w/sheep, in the area. In the Fall, there are numerous little festivals, w/sheep dog trials, the tourists flock (had to) to the area to attend.

Kg

bradford
Level Contributor
1,434 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Fixation with Sheep

I live in a village about 9 miles outside Bradford and most of our local farms are of the ovine persuasion so not too bothered about sheep when I visit Ireland in a couple of weeks except, perhaps, in a restaurant!

Not noticed it for a while now but was occasionally woken up in the early hours by the sound of helicopters. Apparently sheep rustling was quite a problem and this was the only way for the police to track the rustlers across the moorland roads.

John

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
6,226 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fixation with Sheep

I notice that the sheep are a different breed than I'm used to see, does that make me sad?

I see loads of sheep where I live but always different to see different breeds.

Kildare folks, Kildare, The plains where sheep haven.

Just googled Kildare and sheep and got this link came up: rte.ie/news/…

Right.

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
456 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fixation with Sheep

I'm one of those tourists that has a fixation with sheep!

There are a few reasons:

I'm an animal lover in general.

I live in an urban area, so interacting with any farm animals is rare and a novelty.

Some farm animals, particularly, cows are common in the US, even if not my immediate area, but for most of the US sheep are few and far between.

Finally, they look particularly cute and cuddly. I learned that they are most definitely not interested in cuddling, to my great disappointment!

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
771 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fixation with Sheep

I think the biggest thing about sheep and Ireland is that they roam free. Even if you did see them in the US, they would be confined to fenced in fields. Personally, I think it's kind of cool to drive around a corner and find them roaming or laying in the road. Agree with Aimee--they look cute and cuddly too!

It doesn't hurt that every other picture you see of Ireland (in travel advertising) has a 'traffic jam' of sheep. That's what visitors want to see!!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
17,213 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fixation with Sheep

Greetings kilted2,

Last year, after leaving Keem Beach, Achill Island, dense fog moved in, I was caught up at the top, with the vehicle surrounded by sheep.

("Oh sheep!)

Kg

Edited: 13 August 2014, 19:45
Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fixation with Sheep

And if you go through Passage East in Co. Waterford you may well find the wild goats from the rugged hillside all over the road - sometimes lying down! …wordpress.com/2013/03/august-2012-035.jpg and pix.ie/lhalley/album/448641/goto/2976451

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,663 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fixation with Sheep

Having watched too many episodes of "One Man and his Dog" as a child, I have no desire to see any sheep herding.

However, I love coming across sheep on the road in Kerry. They tend to convey the attitude of "What are YOU doing on MY road" :o))