We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Raincoat question

NY
Level Contributor
116 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Raincoat question

My wife and I are trying to figure out what additional shopping we may need to do prior to our Ireland trip at the beginning of September. This has given rise to the great raincoat debate :-).

I realize the weather in Ireland is unpredictable and conventional wisdom is to dress in layers. Understanding that temperatures and wind can vary greatly, my profound question is how heavy of a rain jacket is recommended for September. Both my wife and I have light rainproof and windproof "shell" jackets that can be worn over a t-shirt and a fleece, but we were wondering if we might need something a little more substantial.

Any wisdom is appreciated :).

Edited: 14 August 2014, 02:00
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,127 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Raincoat question

It's doubtful you'd need anything more substantial than that, but check the forecast before you leave just in case.

Powell, Wyoming...
Level Contributor
136 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Raincoat question

I have traveled to Alaska and New Zealand and layering is the way to go. I also worked for an on line outdoor clothing retailer for years.

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,417 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Raincoat question

"the great raincoat debate ".... thanks for the giggle!

I don't think that you will need more than your "light rainproof and windproof "shell" jackets".

Enjoy your holidays!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia
Level Contributor
12,719 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Raincoat question

Greetings Jazz,

You will be fine.

Come & Enjoy!

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,273 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Raincoat question

So long as your top layer is waterproof it does not need to be heavy, it may be wet and windy but it is unlikeky to be cold

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
11,104 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Raincoat question

The answer is of course 'it depends' - on what you are doing. Dashing from the car to the hotel to the shops etc. then a light raincoat is ok. The problem with them is that when wet and windy they cling to you and after a bit of time you'll be pretty damp inside. If you are walking in the hills all day in rain then heavy PVC (or at least the better Gortex) is the way to go - it won't cling and will give you a bit of air between the layers.

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
931 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Raincoat question

We were fine last week with a lite rain coat. The weather was not at all like my weather forecast app said. High 60's to low 70's.......... It rained our first and last day. But even with the rain it was still pleasant.

Wish we were still there

Sandi

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,384 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Raincoat question

Google " Weather - Dublin Ireland " or any city / town anywhere

this is shown in local time.

NY
Level Contributor
116 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Raincoat question

Thank you everyone. It looks like the majority seem to think that we should be in good shape. The jackets that we have are good quality but they are light weight and not insulated (originally purchased for travel in a tropical environment) . We will make sure to have reasonably warm fleeces (fleeci? :-)) to wear under them.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
569 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Raincoat question

That's all you need. For protection from heavier downpours, use pubs.