We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving route

Chipping Campden...
Level Contributor
64 posts
554 reviews
Save Topic
Driving route

Arriving in Dublin around 10 am and picking up a hire car. First overnight stop is Kilkenny - so looking for non motorway scenic drive to bring us to Kilkenny Mid/late afternoon with a few little stops on the way. Any suggestions please

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,371 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving route

I would suggest you drive to Glendalough via the Sally Gap then down to Tullow and on to Kilkenny.

Glendalough www.glendalough.ie

There is a lovely location in Tullow called Rathwood. Its a restaurant and a food shop and a place where you can take forest walks and a garden centre http://rathwood.com/ThingsToDo.html

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
12,125 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving route

If you go to Rathwood ( which is outside Tullow ) there's a chocolate factory next door , there's also a falconry centre and a new maze in the shape of all the counties of Ireland . I am also going to tell you about a site I don't mention often because I don't want it overrun. Locally it's known as the Ring of the Rath ( pronounced locally as ra) or officially as Rathgall. There is information on it in Rathwood, it's a huge hill fort site, you'll appreciate the size when you see the arial pictures. You will probably have the place to yourself.

I have been known to drag friends out there to see the dawn break- the fort was one of a chain. Linking places like Spinans hill fort. The thinking is that fires could be lit to signal danger to the next fort in the chain. I'll find you a link

Chipping Campden...
Level Contributor
64 posts
554 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving route

Thank you, do you have an approximate driving time for this route, minus any stops of course.

4. Re: Driving route

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 15 August 2014, 21:35
Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,371 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving route

www.googlemaps.com suggest 2 hours 52 so make it 3 hours, perhaps 3h15

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
12,125 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving route

I've just re-read your post and see you are coming in off a flight.

So I would suggest to skip Glendalough (heresy but ...) Come off the M50 and take the road to Blessington, this brings you under the Wicklow mountains and along by the lakes . Continue on this road and it will bring you close to several megalithic sites, such as the Piper's Stones just beyond the turn for Hollywood. (The Wicklow one!) The legend is that the piper and dancers were merrymaking on a sabbath day and were turned to stone as a result.

voicesfromthedawn.com/athgreany-pipers-stone…

There are a few other stone circles too ,this one being one of my favourites set as it is on the mouth of the Glen of Imaal, rebel stronghold in the 1798 revolution.

visitwicklow.ie/attractions/…

I'm only posting things that are very close to your route ,as I am conscious of you being off the plane.

Next town along the route is Baltinglass, with the beautifully located abbey ruins on the bank of the river

megalithicireland.com/…20Wicklow.html

If you need a food stop, Germaines in the town will give you good honest food and plenty of it!

Tullow is a small country town and the place where the rebel 1798 priest Fr. John Murphy was executed. There's a statue to him in the square and it is said that the building on the corner (to the left of the traffic lights) is where his head was stuck on a spike to frighten the Catholic locals into submission.Locals claim you can still see the shadow outline of the head on the building.(I pass it every day and have looked hard, can't say I've seen it!!)

Then there's Duckett's Grove, a ruined mock-Gothic mansion,with restored walled gardens.

thestandingstone.ie/2011/07/ducketts-grove-c…

…blogspot.ie/2011/…duckett-grove-castle.html

(I am somewhat sceptical of the banshee story, but as my mother says, why spoil a good story with facts.

"Duckett's Grove's banshee is supposedly that of a woman who William Duckett had an affair with." A banshee is literally that a "fairy woman" not the ghost of a mortal and anyhow the banshee never followed Protestant families, bar the notable exception of Charles Bunworth, who tried to help the last of the Irish harpers http://www.kinsella.org/library/croker/croker12.htm)

The places I have mentioned above are all worth considering, but you will have to pick and choose to get to Kilkenny by noon.Most of them you will have to yourself or at most with a few others.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,768 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving route

here it is

8. Re: Driving route

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2015, 07:16