We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental and CDW question

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental and CDW question

Help, travel gurus! I have read that CWD purchase is necessary for car rental unless one has a World MasterCard. However, I have obtained a letter from VISA saying I am eligible for coverage under the Auto Rental CDW benefit through my Chase Bank VISA card. The letter says, "Effective Nov. 1, 2013, the countries of Israel, Ireland, Northern Ireland and Jamaica are covered under this program." I have arranged to rent a car from Thrifty, which says in writing and on the phone that purchase of the CWD is optional. My question is, does anyone see any flaw in this plan? I would hate to get to Ireland and face unexpected fees. Thanks.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
17,372 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental and CDW question

your best bet is to email thrifty in ireland and see if your card insurance is acceptable here. the card companys can tell you one thing but it is not always the case when you arrive. remember, there will still be an excess of around €2000, and a hold will be put on your cc for this. to remove the hold, you need to purchase scdw which will be offered to you at a cost of around 20€ per day.

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
52 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental and CDW question

Not sure how different companies work, but we just got back from Ireland this week and got a car from Hertz in Shannon. We have the Chase united Explorer card and brought our letter from Chase and had no problems whatsoever. We did not have a hold on our card, but not sure of the ins and outs of other companies.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
401 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental and CDW question

We rented from Budget using the Chase Visa Signature rental coverage. No issues. But we did email the benefits letter to Budget and had it confirmed in writing it would be accepted.

We did have a 2.000E hold on the card, but it's a hold, not a charge, so it didn't bother us.

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
12,032 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental and CDW question

A hold on your card won't bother you unless it takes you over your credit limit. Make sure your credit limit is sufficient for all your expenses and the hold.

5. Re: Car rental and CDW question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2015, 06:16