We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wellll, I think we're ready??

Clovis, California
Level Contributor
127 posts
182 reviews
Save Topic
Wellll, I think we're ready??

Ok....., so after waaaay too many hours to count, of reading trip reports, reviews, copying, pasting, notes here and there (and everywhere), we are leaving on Monday (Aug 18th). I must say that having made a number of travel plans over the years, this has been one of the most intensive.

I have a 'bit' of angst about the driving (I won't be doing any of it, the angst comes from wanting to keep my marriage intact. Have already discussed with my adult daughters who will get custody of me, or him, when we return....)

In 22 days, we will stay in 1 hotel (Dublin), and 9 b&b's. Combo ticket from Dublin Airport is reserved, Guinness visit reserved, day trip from Dublin to Belfast and Giants Causeway reserved, and car is reserved with Dan Dooley (automatic with all insurance and the deed to all of our assets). Routes are (laughingly) planned from point A to B to C, sort of.

A note of thanks for all of the information that I have received here (which I won't admit to having checked every.single.day.) I will keep notes and report back on all the wonderful things we have done and seen.

It was 99 F (37 C) here in Houston today (that was in the shade), so 3 weeks of cool temps is looking mighty fine :) Sláinte!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
16,215 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wellll, I think we're ready??

Greetings!

Very much, looking forward to reading your trip reports & reviews.

Wishing you both a magical & memorable visit in Ireland.

Keshgrammy

South Florida...
Destination Expert
for Miami, Key Largo
Level Contributor
3,740 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wellll, I think we're ready??

Random thoughts...get the GPS for the car ...take your rain jacket every where. ...bring an extra converter as one will end up left behind...bring shampoo and conditioner. Have a great trip!

grafton
Level Contributor
636 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wellll, I think we're ready??

Enjoy your trip. I know what you mean about reading this forum everyday, I have been doing the same for 2 years now and that is not an exaggeration. We have finally booked but won't get there until May next year. Hope the weather is kind to you too.

Dickinson, North...
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Wellll, I think we're ready??

I just got back recently. I drove all around the country. I can tell you it isn't as bad as you think. You get used to it pretty quickly. But absolutely get a GPS. Seriously. I would have been screwed without one.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,196 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wellll, I think we're ready??

There is no need to bring shampoo and conditioner across the Atlantic, we have it here you know!

Clovis, California
Level Contributor
127 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wellll, I think we're ready??

I have pretty much been keeping up with all of you! Loved your video Josh (especially the music, it was great!). It really helped get me in the mood:)

Thanks for the tip about the GPS. Did you get the one available through the rental company? We have one, but would have to add Ireland maps, think it was about 40 euros to Download the maps.

We always travel with just carry-on, but do usually throw in a small bottle (or samples) of shampoo and conditioner, just in case! Thanks for the tips!!

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,064 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wellll, I think we're ready??

can't wait to hear about your trip....you have the right attitude and that is going to make your trip more than you have hoped for....

gps, no gps, you'll do just fine....I couldn't agree with you more about the cooler temps and all week I've been thinking how much cooler i'd be if I was back in Ireland 8-) .....

safe journey.......

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
770 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wellll, I think we're ready??

So envious!! Like you, we are hot in Charlotte---90's all week. Would love to be back in Ireland with the cooler temps and RAIN!!! lol Enjoy and do report back.

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
147 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wellll, I think we're ready??

Check on eBay. I am borrowing my sister's Garmin for my upcoming trip and ordered the 2015 Ireland for $26. It works perfectly for about half the price.

Clovis, California
Level Contributor
127 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wellll, I think we're ready??

Thanks ReneP73! I will check that out!