We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dublin Freedom Ticket/HoHo Airlink Combo Purchase Questions

Mansfield, Texas
Level Contributor
113 posts
Save Topic
Dublin Freedom Ticket/HoHo Airlink Combo Purchase Questions

Hello All,

I think this may be my first actual question that I've had to post in my planning process, with all of the information already posted! I'll be arriving in Dublin to start my 12 day solo trip on Sept 2nd. My Aer Lingus flight from Chicago arrives super early at 5:15 am.

I've been pondering the purchase of either the 3 day Freedom Ticket, which would include the Airlink + HoHo Bus + Dublin bus services, or the Airlink/HoHo Combo ticket (I'd be buying the Return ticket, to go back to the airport on Sept 4 to pickup my rental car from Dan Dooley). I'm leaning toward the Freedom Ticket, so if I'm tired of walking and not close to a HoHo stop, I can just hop on the regular bus.

My questions, though, really revolve around the actual purchase of and picking up the ticket. I'm concerned that any purchase locations won't be open until several hours after I arrive. The Freedom ticket website says that online reservation vouchers must be redeemed at Dublin Airport Terminal 1 Office (I arrive at Terminal 2), which doesn't open until 8 AM. Is this really the only airport location to redeem online vouchers for the Freedom Ticket? And if I wait until I get there (which I'm fine with), where exactly do I purchase the ticket? I'm not seeing any reference online to being able to purchase these tickets from automated machine, and I haven't seen any reference here to that particular question - despite reading TA [ahem] more than once a day.

You're help is much appreciated, as it has been in reading TA for the past year! :-)

Laura

Edit: PS - Sorry to be so long winded! :-)

Edited: 17 August 2014, 17:27
Dublin
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dublin Freedom Ticket/HoHo Airlink Combo Purchase Questions

In an old brochure that I have, they mention that these tickets can be bought from an automatic vending machine at the Airlink bus stop, which is just outside T1. You land in T2, but it is only about a 10 minutes walk - Dublin airport is relatively compact -to the buses outside T1 - there are signs that will direct you as you exit arrivals in T2.

However, it might be a good idea to clarify with Dublin Bus that that service is still available. You could also enquire if the ticket can be bought directly from the driver, as I suspect that is possible. Contact details for Dublin Bus from their FAQ's -

15. Who do I contact with queries about my booking?

If you have any queries regarding your Dublin Sightseeing Booking, please contact us using any of the following methods.

Phone: 00 353 1 703 3028

Fax: 00 353 1 703 3031

E-mail: info@dublinsightseeing.ie

Writing: Dublin Sightseeing, Dublin Bus, 59 Upper O'Connell Street, Dublin 1.

Mansfield, Texas
Level Contributor
113 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dublin Freedom Ticket/HoHo Airlink Combo Purchase Questions

Thanks Fenla! Especially the information on going from T2 to T1. I suspected as much, but wasn't really able to find confirmation on that in all of my research. I did email dublin bus info, and they responded back to me surprisingly quick (like within 30 min). They confirmed that online reservations would have to be redeemed at the office, which does not open until 8 AM, and suggested that I make the purchase at one of the machines - confirming your above information. He also stated that the machines are located in both Terminals, which makes it convenient.

Thanks again!

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dublin Freedom Ticket/HoHo Airlink Combo Purchase Questions

Just for your info. As I had mentioned in my previous post that you might be able to buy the ticket from the bus driver, I contacted Dublin Bus to clarfiy, and this was their reply -

"The drivers do not sell them, however there are machines at both Airlink stops in both terminals, that do sell the tickets. They accept card or cash payment."

And as I read their reply again, it would seem to indicate that the Airlink747 bus stops at each terminal - saves you having to walk over to T1. So when you come out at arrivals in T2, go straight ahead and follow the signs for buses. After you've crossed the walkover, go down the stairs and the bus stops are there. There is usually a Dublin Bus official on duty there, so if you have any queries, just ask him/her.

Mansfield, Texas
Level Contributor
113 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Dublin Freedom Ticket/HoHo Airlink Combo Purchase Questions

Thanks so much for that, fenla!

As long as there are signs directing the way, I should be fine. I'm pretty used to traversing different/unfamiliar airports, but wasn't sure how well "signed" it was. I've been in a few that you just have to wander around til you find what you're looking for. Good to know Dublin isn't one of those. :)

5. Re: Dublin Freedom Ticket/HoHo Airlink Combo Purchase Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2015, 06:16