We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clifden or Westport??

Sandy, Utah
Level Contributor
77 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Clifden or Westport??

I've been reading these incredibly useful and insightful forum topics for months as I plan our September trip... thank you so much for the valuable advice. I have most of the trip planned as follows: Arrive Dublin, drive to Carlingford for the first night. Nights 2 and 3 are in Ballintoy, County Antrim. Nights 4 and 5 are in Donegal. My problem is with where to stay on nights 6 and 7. Nights 8 & 9 are in Galway, 10 & 11 in Dublin prior to our departure.

I am debating between Clifden and Westport. We want to do the Great Western Greenway, so I realize Westport would be the most convenient, but I've heard that Clifden is a quaint fun little town. We could drive to Westport from Clifden to rent our bikes for the Greenway. Do you think this would be too much of a hassle? We have plenty to do in both spots. I guess my question is, should we go out of our way to stay in Clifden over Westport? Many thanks for any advice!

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
18,929 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Clifden or Westport??

Greetings!

I never get tired of visiting Clifden, and Connemara N.P. Are you planning on staying overnight, then heading to Westport to p/u, the bikes for the Western Greenway, or, is this a choice of only one adventure?

Keshgrammy

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
59,027 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clifden or Westport??

"We could drive to Westport from Clifden to rent our bikes for the Greenway. Do you think this would be too much of a hassle? "

Yes.

It is a scenic drive for the most part, but I can't imagine doing it back and forth by choice.

Clifden and Westport are both nice places to stay, but if you've got the Greenway in mind I think Westport should be your stopping point, you can settle for a stop in Clifden on your way down to Galway City.

(Or, in theory, they're close enough you could do one night in each, but I'm not much of a fan of one-night stays)

Sandy, Utah
Level Contributor
77 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Clifden or Westport??

We would stay both nights in Clifden and explore Connemara and drive up and back to Westport to bike. We will be coming from Killybegs the night before, so the extra hour from Westport to Clifden that day might make for a long day. Thanks for the advice. I do want to explore Connemara even if we stay in Westport. Too much to do and too little time!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
59,027 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Clifden or Westport??

Right. That's the part that doesn't make sense to me. Killybegs to Clifden you'd go past Wesport anyway, and then the next day spend more than 2 hours getting back and forth to Westport again to rent bicycles?

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,929 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Clifden or Westport??

Greetings 1jorda,

What time are you planning to leave Killybegs?

Keshgrammy

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,876 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Clifden or Westport??

According to your schedule, you have two night stops everywhere you plan to visit. Therefore I think for nights 6 and 7, why not spend one night in Westport and Clifden - it's the only time you will be doing one night stays on the trip. Both places are lovely, and you seem to want to see both of them, so do it. To me, it would not make sense travelling back from Clifden to Westport to cycle the Greenway, when you will be passing through Westport on your way from Donegal. By the way, allow yourselg the best part of a day if you intend cycling the entire Greenway. I did it a couple of years ago, left Achill Sound at 11.00AM, arrived back in Westport 4.30PM - mind you, we stopped a few times on the route for refreshments!!!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,929 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Clifden or Westport??

@fenladublin

If the OP leaves Killybegs, in the morning, taking the N56 to N15 to N4 to N59, continuing to Ballina to Ballycroy to Mulranny, there is the Bicycle Hire at the Mulranny Park Hotel,'Clew Bay Bike Hire' half to whole day rentals. The OP, can take the Greenway over to Achill Island, as an option.

www.clewbaybikehire.ie

Then drive to Westport for the night, following day & night, Connemara & Clifden.

Edited: 18 August 2014, 22:01
Sandy, Utah
Level Contributor
77 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Clifden or Westport??

Thanks to all of you for your input. We are early risers, so I would guess we will leave Killybegs right after breakfast and head south. I think we'll stay in Westport. Yes, weather permitting, we have devoted an entire day to biking. We're all very active, and two of us live at 5000 feet above sea level, so biking at sea level should be a real treat! Add gorgeous scenery, good food and drink, and we should be blissful! Thanks again, can't wait to get started on this trip.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,929 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Clifden or Westport??

Greetings 1jorda,

You will pass Nevins Newfield Inn, on the N59, Mulranny, fantastic food food.

Come & Enjoy!

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
15,394 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Clifden or Westport??

I like wesport well enough but clifden would get my vote....maybe someone knows of a bike rental in clifden?.....