We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 Night Itinerary for Young Couple - Into/out of Dublin

Chicago, Illinois
1 post
Save Topic
7 Night Itinerary for Young Couple - Into/out of Dublin

Hello -

My boyfriend and I (both 27) are traveling to Ireland from the U.S. for the first time! We are leaving on Sept 5 and returning on Sept 13 (7 nights) and are flying into/out of Dublin. We rented a car and hope to see as much of beautiful Ireland as possible while also having some time to absorb the culture during our week-long stay. We consider ourselves to be very active, which our tentative itinerary reflects. The question for all you wonderful reviewers is - What changes/edits to our itinerary below would you make?:

Day 1 (Saturday) - Dublin:

-Dublin City Bike Tour

-Explore/hunt for the perfect pint

Day 2 (Sunday) - Cork/Kinsale:

-Explore both towns

QUESTION: Is it a mistake to skip Kilkenny & Rock of Cashel? Our thinking is that there may be more interesting sights to see in the SW/W.

QUESTION: Where should we stay for the night - Cork or Kinsale? Will both areas have B&B, hostel, or cheap hotel availability on the day of?

Day 3 (Monday) & Afternoon Day 4 (Tuesday) - Killarney/Dingle:

-Explore Killarney

-Dingle Peninsula

QUESTION: Will this give us the general gist that the Ring of Kerry would give us in depth? Looking to avoid spending an entire day on this, esp. considering how much we already plan to drive.

Overnight Tuesday & Morning Day 5 (Wednesday) - Dromoland Castle

Evening Day 5 (Wednesday) - The Burren/Cliffs of Moher/Doolin

QUESTION: Stay in this area or drive to Galway City?

Day 6 (Thursday) & Morning Day 7 (Friday) - Galway City/Connemara

QUESTION: Is Kylemore Abbey recommended?

Evening Day 7 (Friday) - Return to Dublin before flying out Saturday afternoon!

Is this itinerary too aggressive even for an active twosome? Does it make more sense to first head to Galway, loop south and then eventually back up to Dublin (would allow for more time in Kilkenny vs. Galway)?

Thank you for your thoughts. They are much appreciated. Ireland here we come!

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 Night Itinerary for Young Couple - Into/out of Dublin

Dublin City Bike Tour is a great idea. I did it last year and it brings you around parts of Dublin that a tourist wouldn't normally see. If you are doing the 10.00AM tour, and after that you have the energy, then I would suggest that you also do the HOHO city bus tour, as this will bring you around all the main sights of Dublin, and you will get information about Dublin on this tour that you will not get on the bike tour. A full circuit non stop, take about 90 minutes. And then 'Explore/hunt for the perfect pint'

'Is it a mistake to skip Kilkenny' - In my opinion, not necessarily, especially if there are other places you want to see. Many visitors want to see Kilkenny Castle, I've seen it and I could take it or leave it - it is not traditional castle style, more French chateau.

If you are travelling Dublin to Cork directly, then you pass by the Rock of Cashel, and I would go see it, and take the guided tour which is included in the admission price. Twenty minute further on is the town of Cahir, and I would suggest you visit Cahir Castle and take the guided tour there also, which I found more interesting than Kilkenny Castle, but that's just personal preference.

My choice would be to stay in Kinsale, but I like Kinsale.

I would do the Slea Head drive on the Dingle Peninsula, in preference to the Ring of Kerry. When in Killarney, I would go to the Gap of Dunloe. Ross Castle is also interesting to visit - a different style of castle to Cahir Castle.

When travelling from Doolin to Galway, I recommend this route to you, as it will bring you along the coast with some lovely views - http://goo.gl/maps/fYFfC

'Is Kylemore Abbey recommended?' - for me, a 'NO'. I just found it uninteresting, as I did with Muckross House in Killarney(in case you intend visiting it also), but that's just me. Maybe if you want to get a photo of it, just pull in to the car park, take the shot and go. If you are in Clifden, then I recommend that you drive the Sky Road for some magnificent scenery, especially if the weather is good. And if you have time and the energy, visit Connemara National Park and climb Diamond Hill.

2. Re: 7 Night Itinerary for Young Couple - Into/out of Dublin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2015, 06:17