We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which bus pass to get in Dublin

Fort Worth, Texas
14 posts
Save Topic
Which bus pass to get in Dublin

I am a bit confused by all of the different types of passes available.

Here are out travel plans. We will be in Dublin for 2 days in mid sept. Arriving at airport at 5am and wanting to get to a Drumcondra B&B, (Abbington House) then would like to do the HOHO 2 day ticket around Dublin. Probably want to take the Airlink #747 to Drumcondra (or the #16, #41, 41A or #41B bus).

We do expect that the HOHO buses would get us around to most of Dublin, but we expect that we would probably have to take an occasional city bus to get back to the B&B or somewhere else. On the third morning, we would need to get back to the airport to pick up the rental car.

Also, at the end of our vacation when we drive back to Dublin in early Oct, we would want to drop off the rental at the airport and then get back to Drumcondra for one night, and then back to the airport early the next morning for an early flight.

There appear to be a number of different pass options and I was wondering if someone could recommend the best one for our requirements.

Thanks in advance for your help.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
24,753 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Which bus pass to get in Dublin

Sorry, I'm on the free travel. But, I do thank all the locals on here for funding my existence.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
46 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which bus pass to get in Dublin

I'm not sure you'd get the value out of a travel card eg. The Leap Vistor Card. As you say, the HoHo Bus will take you to all the main sights and Drumcondra is a 30 minute walk from O'Connell Street so on a nice day (ie. not raining!) it's definitely walkable. You might be best off just paying for busses as and when.

Dublin
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Which bus pass to get in Dublin

Get the Freedom ticket. It's €30 and covers the HOHO and all city bus services. Valid for 72 hours. dublinbus.ie/en/…

The HOHO is fine for getting a guided tour of the city, but not practical for getting to places quickly, that's where using regular buses is better and the above pass covers that.

Also please note that the 747 does not serve Drumcondra, 16 or 41 only.

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which bus pass to get in Dublin

You can get the Aircoach express service #700 - www.aircoach.ie from the airport and it has a stop (Quinn's Pub) close to your accommodation - http://goo.gl/maps/iCPSH . The fare is €6 one way, €9 return.

If you opt to take the #16 or #41 (fare €2.60) then you can get off at Drumcondra train station (ask the bus driver) - http://goo.gl/maps/ceNXb . Actually, if you are taking the Aircoach back to the airport, the pick up stop is at Drumcondra train station (just under the bridge).

I think the Freedom Ticket would be of value if you intend to take #16 or #41 from/to the airport to/from Drumcondra, and then get buses from Drumcondra in to the city centre and return on both days - I calculate that total fares would be, HOHO €18, airport to/from Drumconndra, €2.60 each journey, Drumcondra to/from city centre €1.80 each journey both days, total fares €30.40.

However, when you return to Dublin at the end of your vacation, if you are not going to use the Aircoach service, I think you are better off just paying cash for each journey if you are going to use public transport. Please note that the public buses will only accept coin and no change is given, so try and have the exact fare

Fort Worth, Texas
14 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Which bus pass to get in Dublin

Thank you all for your responses - they were appreciated.

From what you have said, it does appear that the best option would be to buy the freedom ticket at the airport when we arrive, then use it (via a city bus) to get to the Drumcondra train station (B&B), use it for the HOHO 2 day bus tours and use it for a city bus to get us to and from the B&B to downtown, as well as an occasional city bus around Dublin.

For when we return to Dublin with the rental car, it sounds like the best option for getting to and from the airport would be paying as you go for either the Aircoach or city bus runs from Drumcondra train station. (Thanks for the reminder of exact change required).

Only one last question - it is my understanding that there are 2 different HOHO bus tours of Dublin, a green one and a red one. It does appear that they both are basically identical and use the same routes but I was wondering which one the freedom ticket would use.

Thanks again for your help.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
46 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which bus pass to get in Dublin

The Freedom Ticket covers the green bus. It's operated by Dublin Bus. It's a very good tour, the comentary is given by the driver rather than a recording so it's always slightly different.

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which bus pass to get in Dublin

Not all the green HOHO buses are live commentary. About one third of them are multilingual, so ahve a look at the front of the bus to see whether it is live commentary or multilingual. As Captain Brooksie advises, the live commentaries are much more entaining and some of the drivers can be very funny - tripadvisor.ie/Attraction_Review-g186605-d19…

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which bus pass to get in Dublin

Thanks everyone for your great input and comments!

9. Re: Which bus pass to get in Dublin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2015, 05:17