We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus in Ireland

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
173 posts
292 reviews
Save Topic
Bus in Ireland

Are foreigners being cheated often?

I went on the bus a few times in Dublin and the bus driver tells us to swipe our card in the one in the back when I told him we will just go two stations away. He said the one next to him will charge us much higher. The one in the back always charges a flat fee of 2.50 euro.

Later my Irish friend was with me and he told me not to swipe it there, to give to the driver because it is usually around 1.4-1.8 if a short distance.

I know it's only a little bit different, but I have never encountered being overcharged on public transport before. Was I really being overcharged or does everyone spend 2.50 flat rate, even more than riding the subway 4x as far?

Dublin
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus in Ireland

What kind of ticket do you have? If a Leap Card with pay as you go credit, for short distances you place the card on the driver's machine and state your destination. A tourist ticket or season pass is swiped on the other machine. Not sure what you mean about the subway.

Please don't make accusations of "foreigners being cheated", that's a bit of an unfair reaction to what is most likely an honest mistake.

Edited: 28 August 2014, 20:13
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
2,768 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus in Ireland

The 2nd machine is only supposed to validate passes.

If you use a pay as you go card, it charges the maximum price.

Dublin bus fares aren't flat fare, so if you're used to using it somewhere like London, the way it works is different.

You just need to know how any local system works. For example, in Holland you get charged €4 if you forget to tag off. In most countries, you don't tag off a bus.

Edited: 28 August 2014, 21:50
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
3,101 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus in Ireland

Did you have a tourist leap card or a regular leap card?? Tourist card is a pass so you can tag on to any reader. If pay as you go then it can be a tiny bit cheaper on shorter journeys to go to the driver. I think it is very unlikely a Dublin bus driver would try and cheat people, he may have thought you had a tourist pass

Also Dublin has a massive non Irish population so it is a bit offensive to suggest foreigners get cheated on the bus

4. Re: Bus in Ireland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2015, 06:17