We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prescription and OTC drugs

Fort Myers, FL
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Prescription and OTC drugs

We've been told that we must bring our prescription drugs in their original prescription bottles. For my husband, that's a bunch of bottles. As for me, I only have two prescription drugs but several OTC drugs like Biotin, Red Yeast Rice, etc. Both of us use those weekly pill holders.

We were informed that Ireland is very strict with travelers entering the country with drugs.

We are not sickly, but we certainly don't want our medicines taken from us. Has anyone had experience with this issue.

We are leaving Wednesday morning and I just can't wait.

Regards,

Karen

Rhfode Island
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Prescription and OTC drugs

Always bring my numerous daily meds in weekly bill holders as you mentioned. I am careful to pack these in my carry on and in twice yearly trips for many years I've never had a problem!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
15,215 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prescription and OTC drugs

Greetings!

I am sure your Physician would be the best person to advise you about the legalities of traveling with prescription medications.

Here are two Government websites with info, regarding traveling w/Prescription medications. The U.S. Embassy in Dublin, & the TSA site.

…usembassy.gov/service/…medication.html

tsa.gov/traveler-information/what-expect-if-…

I hope this info helps.

Edited: 30 August 2014, 03:17
Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,801 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prescription and OTC drugs

Many people are on long term meds. Even if they are fit and healthy e.g. Asthma meds, Cholesterol lowering meds etc.

If your meds are in blister packs it will be much easier. And bring a photocopy of your Rx as well. Just in case you lose your meds or you drop some or whatever. It is also handy to show Customs if necessary.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,495 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prescription and OTC drugs

kis, I always bring mine in their original bottle and have never had an issue...another reason I do this is because in my state it is illegal to carry meds any other way....if stopped for a minor traffic violation and the officer decided to search and you had a "controlled" substance out of the pharmacy bottle, you get arrested for possession.....as tesh suggested, check with TSA to ease your mind.....

beans suggestion to bring rx copies is excellent advice...one for glasses would be great too...

have a wonderful trip....

5. Re: Prescription and OTC drugs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2015, 05:17