We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tours in Ireland

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Tours in Ireland

My husband and I are thinking about going to Ireland for a few weeks in November, and are also considering doing it through a tour--it would be our first such trip (tour). We are frequent travelers, and we would appreciate suggestions.

Here's the thing. My sister said tours might drive us crazy, as some tour operators talk incessantly on bus trips, just to fill the silence, and that some groups are first-time travelers who have different interests than we do. (OK, I know that sounds snobby, but there it is.) Any suggestions?

Moosup, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,533 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tours in Ireland

What are your interests? Will this be your first visit? For November,not having to concern yourself with driving/navigation in limited daylight hours would be less stressful If you partake of a tour. You will have free time in evening to explore the town/city in which you are staying. . Successful tour driver/guides do not overwhelm their guest by incessant narration, but adapt to the situation. As to divergent interests, read the itinerary, if you do chose a tour, to select that which does appeals to you. I've been on tours where there was very little interaction within the group; but the most memorable visits were when the travelers shared the ambiance of Ireland

Edited: 30 August 2014, 20:43
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tours in Ireland

Thank you for your reply, Sissy. We would love to take the Joyce tour of Dublin (Ulysses), but beyond that, we just want to see the country. I went once as a girl, but my husband has never been. If you could point me to some of the tour companies you used or know of, I'd be grateful. I don't know where to start!

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,624 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tours in Ireland

You say going to Ireland ' for a few weeks', I would combine a tour with a cottage rental, time for both. A week in a holiday rental after a week on the road would give you time to unwind, relax etc,

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tours in Ireland

Thank you, fuchsia, we're thinking of doing that. Where would you rent? I'm still looking for the names of tour companies that people have enjoyed.

My problem is that we usually go to Italy or France, which we know pretty well---but Ireland is terra incognito, and we don't know where to begin!

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,624 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tours in Ireland

A bit of a tricky one this, I would say choose an area not covered by your tour so you get a change of scenery, but you would need to choose your tour first.

Also November is a dark wet miserable month mostly so my first choice of somewhere wild out west might not be the best option!! Killarney is always nice, plenty to do and quiet in November. Be aware that it is winter and a lot of places may be shut, but the pubs are always warm and friendly.

Moosup, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,533 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tours in Ireland

Combining a tour and then base your selves in one of the citiies to continue enjoying what Ireland has to offer. Brian Moore International; Globus, Driftwood, Collette(uses CIE) all provide itineraries for first time visitors. Don't be mislead by the titles.. ie Folk and Pub tours is not really a pub crawl or local fairs,just euphemisms for advertising After reading the options, then add pre and post days. Starting/ending in an area from which you would pick/up or end scheduled tour. Look for trips that have 2 night stays/hotel to minimize stress and give you some free time.

I visited in November last year. While daylight is short; there is no shortage of activities. Killarney and Dublin were very busy and lots of tour groups still visiting.

Edited: 31 August 2014, 18:26
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tours in Ireland

Thank you!

8. Re: Tours in Ireland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2015, 05:16