We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ireland Itinerary

Riverside...
6 posts
Save Topic
Ireland Itinerary

Hi folks, I need some input here. I'm traveling into Ireland, March 21 through April 4th, 2015 and have concocted the following itinerary:

Mar 22 - arrive Dublin in the morn

Mar 23 Dublin

Mar 24 Dublin

Mar 25 Waterford

Mar 26 Cork

Mar 27 Killarney

Mar 28 Adare

Mar 29 Cliffs of Moher

Mar 30 Galway

Mar 31 Westport

Apr. 1 Sligo

Apr. 2 Donegal

Apr 3 Back to Dublin

Apr 4 Depart for home

Is this too ambitious? Am I crazy to spend each night in a different place? I've tried to plan some driving each day, but not too much driving, and will be staying in BnBs each night.

I'm open to any and all suggestions, thanks so much.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,023 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ireland Itinerary

#Mar 27 Killarney

Mar 28 Adare

Mar 29 Cliffs of Moher#

Adare doesn't merit much more than a short time. Its pretty and its nice to drive through but you would be better off taking that extra time in Killarney and allowing yourself see more. Even driving the Ring of Kerry.

When visiting the Cliffs of Moher, make sure you get to see the world heritage site The Burren http://www.burrennationalpark.ie/

The Cliffs of Moher will have visibility issues if its very foggy or very wet. Very occasionally, if the weather is extremely windy, the can be closed for safety reasons. Just be aware of this.

Also be aware that Friday 3rd April is Good Friday. Pubs will be closed and many restaurants with drink licences will also be closed as will nightclubs.

Riverside...
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ireland Itinerary

Thanks so much. This is the kind of input I was hoping for since I don't know if these places are drive through or stop here type places.

Madison Heights...
Level Contributor
22 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ireland Itinerary

Much of the answer depends on how you travel and what you enjoy.

My teen daughters and I spent two weeks in Ireland in June. Initially, we were basically going to make much the same loop as you except starting in Shannon. The more that we looked into it, the less we wanted to spend hours and hours driving from place to place. We wanted to get in an area and explore it--get off the beaten path and see things beyond the tourist spots. When I think of the incredible things you are skipping over between Cork and Kilarney alone (Mizenhead and Sheeps Head Peninsulas, Healy Pass, Beara), my heart aches because we spent a week there and it wasn't enough time by half. Oh for just two more days there!

You need to know that 60 miles in Ireland will take you far longer than 60 minutes...and, do yourself a favor and get off the highways...slow down, spend time enjoying the scenery and stop and any location you want along the way. I would worry that with your rushed schedule of travel, you will be racing to the next destination that you aren't enjoying the trip there. Some of the best times we had were getting lost and just enjoying the backroads.

Second, you seem to be wanting to go from city to city. We couldn't avoid the cities enough, preferring instead to enjoy the rural areas in the west (Achill Island, Co. Clare) and the southern peninsulas. So I cannot comment much on any of the cities you chose, but I would recommend what some wonderful folks told me: skip the official Cliffs of Moher and go south instead. If you take the ride to Loophead Peninsula, you will see vistas as beautiful, if not moreso, than the CoM with less than 10% of the people. We spent an hour at the CoM (picking up my youngest who hiked along it) and spent hours wandering down to Loophead, stopping every few miles to gawk at the views and take dozens and dozens of pics without tourists. Simply stunning.

So if your ideal vacation is to jump from city to city, seeing everything from a car, you certainly picked some great locales. But if you want to dig into a few areas and really see what there is to see, I think you need to cut your destinations by half.

Either way, enjoy. The people are wonderful, the food is fantastic but the real star with the beautiful country.

Edited: 02 September 2014, 05:00
Riverside...
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ireland Itinerary

I can't thank you enough for your informative feedback. I especially like your input about the cliffs of mother. Thankfully nothing is set in stone. I'm an off te beaten path type if gal, not sure if my traveling companion is though.

I'll post a final itinerary closer to the trip.

5. Re: Ireland Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2015, 05:16