We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice-Driving

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
86 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Need advice-Driving

We are traveling in in mid November. Our plans are currently to fly into Dublin and then get to Galway by train or plane. Spend 2 nights in Galway. We have the availability of a house in Ballydehob (near Skibbereen) and are planning on using that as a base for west Cork and stay there for 3-4 nights days, then a night or two in Kilkenny and then our last 2 nights in Dublin. I will be doing all of the driving and I am very nervous about it. I drove once before in Ireland - but it was in the Connamerra region which I believe has much less traffic than other areas and I still found it very nerve-wracking. I think it would make sense to stop somewhere on the way from Galway to West Cork - any suggestions. I don't really want to drive after dark. Also, how bad is the traffic going to be on a Saturday morning returning the car to the Dublin airport? Thanks.

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,182 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advice-Driving

Hi mcd, first of all may I suggest that you get a bus from Dublin airport direct to Galway. It would be less hassle than getting to the train station. There is a private bus company that operates a good service between Dublin airport and Galway. Check out www.citylink.ie.

The roads can be busy here, but try and avoid rush hours when people are going to and coming from work and you should be ok.

The drive from Galway to Skibbereen is about 170 miles and will probably take you 4 1/2 to 5 hours. You could stop off in Limerick , but as the main route you will be taking goes around the city, you may be as well off to wait and stop in Charleville or one of the smaller towns that you will be passing through.

As for traffic at Dublin airport, just allow yourself plenty of time as the M50 motorway can be quite busy.

Dont worry and just enjoy yourself.

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
267 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advice-Driving

I might suggest 2 stops. 1 in limerick and the second in Corkif you are going via cork. It is quite a long drive.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
86 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advice-Driving

Thanks for suggestions. I just came up with another option, what about dropping car off in Waterford and taking short train ride to Kilkenny and then train from Kilkenny to Dublin. Would we miss the car? As you might be able to tell, I really don't want to drive.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,608 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need advice-Driving

The drive from Cork to Waterford is very easy and pleasant drive. There would be no difficulty in getting the train to Kilkenny and then travelling on either by train or bus to Dublin - or you can go by train direct from Waterford to Dublin if you don't particularly want to stop at Kilkenny. This would be a good option if you want to limit your driving.

The problem would be finding a company in Ireland who would let you rent a car from Galway and drop off in Waterford. It probably is possible, but it might take some research.

The drive from Waterford to Dublin (or even Waterford/Kilkenn/Dublin) is not difficult at all, especially if you aimed to do it at a quiet time of day, e.g. aim to be on the N7 at mid-day. To avoid driving in Dublin City you could arrange to drop the car at the Airport (again M50 usually not so bad around mid-day or early afternoon), and get the bus in and out of the centre.

I sympathise with and share your lack of confidence in driving in unknown places. But the only part to really worry about is Dublin City Centre, which I recommend you avoid at all costs

5. Re: Need advice-Driving

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2009, 04:16