We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Myrlte's Trip Report - Part #3 - Derry

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Myrlte's Trip Report - Part #3 - Derry

Our route is as follows:

Vancouver to Dublin (via London Gatwick)

Dublin to Galway

Day trip to Inis Mor

Day trip to Connemara

Galway to Derry

Derry to Belfast (via the Antrim Coast)

Derry

Derry wasn’t on our ‘must see’ list and only chose it because it made sense for our routing. What a pleasant surprise! We stayed at Dolce Vita Hostel and loved it. If we didn’t have pets waiting for us at home we’d have moved in! The house was beautifully decorated, the location was perfect and the owners were very friendly and knowledgeable. The other guests were very nice as well!

While in Derry we visited the Guild Hall and the Tower Museum where we visited the Spanish Armada exhibit (unfortunately we weren’t able to see the star attraction because it was closed). The gentleman at the top were wonderful - we spent 2 hours talking to them about travel and other common interests. We also walked along the top of the wall and tooks lots of photos.

On our last afternoon there we made a point of walking through the bog side murals too. It was definitely eye opening and you got a feel for what it was like to be here not too long ago. I can't imagine living in such a volitile (sp?) setting and it really made me see what people around the world live with on a day to day basis.

I managed to get in a manicure (hideous hangnails!) and loved the indulgent break in my hostel life. The people in Derry that we met seemed genuinely surprised that we liked their city as much as we did. Everyone was friendly and down to earth and we quite liked the layout and feel of the city. Although there aren't many sites we still think Derry is worth the stop if you've got an extra night or two on your travels around that area.

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,676 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Myrlte's Trip Report - Part #3 - Derry

Lovely to hear that you got Derry in as well and had such a good time there! Bleah, can't get an anecdote in here... I want to visit Derry one of these days, I have only ever driven past. I am sure it should be a must-see and I am glad you got the murals in as well.

Who are your pets waiting for you at home? I've got three dogs mooching around.

On to part 4 (won't get any sleep this way tonight, I'll blame you, is that okay?).

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Myrlte's Trip Report - Part #3 - Derry

Clauds, it's my fault and I'm completely okay with it! : )

We've got a cat and a dog. The cat, Sage, is thinks she runs the house (okay, fine, I'll just admit that she does!) and her sole purpose of her existence is to eat food or cry about it. Non-stop. She's also very fat so you have to wonder why she carries on like she's never fed. I can only imagine what the neighbours think! Can you hear her crying? Gawd!

The dog, Cain, is lovely. Part shepherd, part akita, part coyote (so they say!) and the loveliest and friendliest dog I've ever met. I'm not much of a dog person (it's the whole being smelly and licking their privates and then you thing, I suppose) but he came as part of the boyfriend package and I wouldn't trade him in for anything!

Both of them were rescued/adopted and have made great additions to our home. Neither of us is interested in having children which is good because these two are handfuls enough!

If you ever make it to Derry I hope that you have as nice of a visit as we did.

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,676 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Myrlte's Trip Report - Part #3 - Derry

Good on you for having rescued dog/cat! I wish there were more liky you.

"I'm not much of a dog person ... but he came as part of the boyfriend package and I wouldn't trade him in for anything!" Ahem, trade dog or boyfriend...?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Myrlte's Trip Report - Part #3 - Derry

It's looking good for the dog! : )

California, USA
Level Contributor
225 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Myrlte's Trip Report - Part #3 - Derry

Dear ladies... I hate to nose in on your thread but I am so enjoying reading Myrtle's tales of her travels...

Myrtle! We rescued our dog Maximus (named for Russell Crowe after Gladiator before he became so notorious...) at our local shelter and he is part Shepherd, part Akita (with the lovely feather-duster tail!), and part wolf. He is without a doubt the sweetest dog I have EVER owned. The shelter veterinarian advised me against an Akita because at the time, my children were quite young. We loved him from the start and did not heed his advice. Thank goodness we didn't! Max is the love of our lives and is simply the best!

Just had to comment because I have never heard of anyone having the same type of Akita mix. Enjoy your Caine!

Now I am on to reading the rest...

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Myrlte's Trip Report - Part #3 - Derry

irishcapella, Cain is wonderful. He's loyal, doesn't bark and has a good temperment with children and bigger people too! We've noticed that after having him fixed he had a bit of an issue with other dogs (ball envy, perhaps?) but my boyfriend learned the signs and avoids certain situations and breeds of dogs. For some reason, boxers and retrievers (which everyone loves) go crazy when they see him. Perhaps they're just jealous of his good looks and charming personality? That's my story and I'm sticking with it!

Do you know the story of the famous japanse akita? There is a children's book called 'Hachiko Waits' by Leslea Newman that is quite nice.

California, USA
Level Contributor
225 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Myrlte's Trip Report - Part #3 - Derry

I will look up the story for my kids. I don't know of it...

Maximus is neutered also and for some reason, other dogs seem intimidated by him regardless of his diminished manliness. (hehe.)

He struts large and tall and is so beautiful. I am certain he knows how superior he really is! We have a book about Akitas, and that signature tail always sets them apart. It's funny because as sweet and kind as he is with us (and playful!), he is an excellent watchdog.

Thank you for replying. I am really enjoying reading of your trip.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Myrlte's Trip Report - Part #3 - Derry

I'm so glad that you enjoyed your time in Derry. We visited there about 5 years ago and stayed with Paddy Doherty (aka "Paddy Bogside") who is a friend of my in-laws. Paddy (and many others) have worked tirelessly over the last 30 years to rebuild the city both structurally and in spirit. I hope you had a chance to visit the exhibit The Fifth Province -- it's a very moving concept that the "Fifth Province" of Ireland is its people.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Myrlte's Trip Report - Part #3 - Derry

Unfortunately we didn't see the exhibit you mention. We also missed the Bogside Artists exhibit (we arrived after they had closed). No regrets though...next time!

10. Re: Myrlte's Trip Report - Part #3 - Derry

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2009, 23:16