We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

CIE Tour deal? Please help!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
CIE Tour deal? Please help!

My family and I have chosen to go on the Irish Welcome tour through CIE in May 2007. However, with all the extra fees (tax, travel insurance, etc) the price through our travel agent is hovering around $2000/person!

Any deals out there that anyone knows of?

The flights recently dropped about $200 so we're thinking of booking that separate but then we'll owe more travel insurance. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
11,985 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: CIE Tour deal? Please help!

irishitalian, i promise you for $2000 per person you can book your own rooms, flight, and car rental for less than that....and you can buy travel insurance on line for about $30-40......then you can go where you please, when you please, or not at all if you please....lol....

and then you can spend the money you will save to buy yourself something wonderful like an irish knit sweater....

just a thought....

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
267 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: CIE Tour deal? Please help!

Thats pertty steep. Check out renting your own car. A b+b would be about 30-40 euro per night or a good hotel would be about 80-100 euro per room. For flights check aerlingus.com. Continental also have very reasonable rates. Do remember that if you are paying in euro that the dollar is particularially weak at the moment.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
281 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: CIE Tour deal? Please help!

You did not mention how many days/nights the tour will be and what type of accomodation is provided with the tour (B&B, hotel, manor house, etc...). These details would greatly figure in the cost of a trip.

That being said my husband and I had the good fortune to visit Ireland 2 years ago. It was a 14 day trip with bookings at one B&B, one manor house, and hotels (not your basic Days Inn hotel though) and the total cost for the trip including airfare , a car rental, and "souvenirs" was roughly 4500 USD.

We went in October which did provide us with discounted accomodation at some places. We are planning to go in the Spring of 2007 and I have the booking rates for accomodation to be slightly higher at most places. Then again other lodgings are qouted at the same rate throughout the year.

The decision is yours but I can tell you that the most fun we had on our previous trip, in hindsight, were the daily instances of getting lost and managing to figure our ways back with loads of help from some of the most gracious people on Earth!

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
11,985 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: CIE Tour deal? Please help!

well said 4ireland.....

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
11,985 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: CIE Tour deal? Please help!

well said 4ireland...some of the best times we had in ireland was when we took a wrong turn....lol...and then getting to spend half an hour talking to a wonderful irishman...then getting back on the road with no idea what he had said as far as directions....hehehe....

Alabama
Level Contributor
41 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: CIE Tour deal? Please help!

Hi,

You can purchase the air on your own. You have to be sure to get from CIE the times that the airline has to land in Shannon to be eligible for their transfers. Buying the air separate from the tour means that any delays etc. you are responsible for and if you by some change miss the departure of the tour you would have to pay to catch up to the tour. You can purchase insurance separate from the tour company that would cover your whole cost of the trip.

Included in the tour is breakfast daily, all dinners except one and they include Bunratty Medieval, Dinner at Kate Kearney's Cottage,

Dinner at Abby Tavern, Shannon Ferry, walking tours of different locations. Admissions to Blarney, Waterford Crytal Factory, Book of Kells at Trinity. Taxes, service charges, porterage for 1 bag.

All of that being said, you could do it cheaper on your own, if you want to plan it all out and drive.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: CIE Tour deal? Please help!

This seems very expensive. Aer Lingus usually has specials for spring (including March) that are posted after the Christmas holiday. I believe we paid $224 per person round trip from Chicago last March. However, with taxes, etc. I think it came to around $620 for the 2 of us. The B&B's were between 30 and 35 euros a person. These included a very hearty breakfast. Car rental is pricey, but well worth it.

If you search on this site, you will find many people that wish they had not taken the CIE tour. I think it would be particularly less desirable with a family. You spend more time on the bus than you may like.

8. Re: CIE Tour deal? Please help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2009, 14:20