We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dan Dooley Car Hire Dublin Airport

Burton on Trent
Level Contributor
1 post
17 reviews
Save Topic
Dan Dooley Car Hire Dublin Airport

Booked a car through a third party. Pick up no problems and the car was clean and well prepared although some minor damage which was all recorded. The car had a full tank of fuel but the advisor on the desk insisted that I paid an 80 euro charge on my credit card to cover the cost of replacing the fuel. I had the choice to return the car as empty as possible, thus losing the 80 euros, or returning it full. Having hired cars previously, although not from Dooleys, I thought that the amount on my card would not be activated until the return of the vehicle. I returned the car with a full tank which was recorded on the paperwork. On returning home I noted that Dooleys had indeed debited my card with the 80 euros. It has since been credited back to my card but the exchange rate has dropped plus my credit card company has made a transaction charge. Not happy with this at all.

Best Seller
Cliffs of Moher Tour Including Wild...
1,219 Reviews
from US$53.80*
Best Seller
Northern Ireland Highlights Day Trip...
1,017 Reviews
from US$77.80*
Best Seller
Aran Islands and Cliffs of Moher Day...
428 Reviews
from US$47.90*
14 replies to this topic
Tampa
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dan Dooley Car Hire Dublin Airport

That is just the way it works Janet. I still believe that Dooleys is the best car hire in Ireland. Sorry you had ann issue.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
16,288 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dan Dooley Car Hire Dublin Airport

with Soccermike on this....I've used Dooley a number of times and yes they, like most car rental companies, charge a fuel deposit but refund it in total when I return the car filled.....

the fact your card company charged a transaction fee, and that the exchange rate wasn't the same on both ends, is certainly not the fault of Dooley......

Yellow Springs, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,846 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dan Dooley Car Hire Dublin Airport

I use a credit card that charges no fee and in June I came out .86 ahead due to the currency fluctuation. It made me very happy.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
31,616 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Dan Dooley Car Hire Dublin Airport

Believe you me, you're lucky it was Dooley's.

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
3,072 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dan Dooley Car Hire Dublin Airport

I had the same thing occur a few years back with Budget. The difference was that Budget issued the return as a Refund. Thus, my MasterCard rescinded the Foreign Transaction Fee on the original charge and due to the (then) falling dollar and rising Euro, I actually 'made' about $3 on my transaction.

I've also rented from Dooley, Hertz, Avis, National, Thrifty and a few others and they ALL charged an Initial Fuel fee.

Be grateful they don't impose the Ludicrous, 'Bring It Back Empty' rule that some companies once insisted upon.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
10,494 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dan Dooley Car Hire Dublin Airport

Brexit - exchange rates nothing to do with the car rental company!

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
25,567 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dan Dooley Car Hire Dublin Airport

yes, blame the british government! however, there has only been about a 10% drop over the last 8 weeks, and it has been static now for about 4 weeks, so the max you could have lost would be only about 8€. and you are not happy about that? sheesh.

Nottingham, United...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Dan Dooley Car Hire Dublin Airport

Can you tell me if I can hire a small car for 2day without a credit card only debut and our much is the car returning it to knock airport thank you xx

Cranston, Rhode...
Level Contributor
152 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dan Dooley Car Hire Dublin Airport

No two people will give you the same answer. Too many variables such as size (economy, compact, compact diesel), full insurance (no hold) or cdw (hold on credit card), manual or automatic transmission, etc. I'm not sure if Knock is an option or if they accept debit cards. I would suggest going on Dan Dooley's website yourself and see what they have to offer.

Edited: 22 March 2017, 00:41
Madrid
Level Contributor
2 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dan Dooley Car Hire Dublin Airport

Visit Ireland two weeks ago and rent with this agency of cars, initially very economically everything and perfectly, rapidly and comfortably. When returns the equal rapid car and everything the correct one, which was my surprise that I did not realize that tape-worm contracted the warehouse ABUNDANCE - EMPTINESS, and I it deliver abundance without realizing, on having seen the collection of my card, I have amounts that do not correspond to me with what they said to me, after two weeks trying to obtain response of them across his web page, I continue without nobody of the company should explain to me because of the above mentioned amounts, the ATTENTION TO THE CLIENT, it cannot be mas DEFICIENTLY, to make wait for the client almost two weeks to give response, undoubtedly ultimately the cheap thing works out expensive. I will not return to rent with you, for such PERNICIOUS management and attention to the client. A greeting David Encinas

Reply to: Dan Dooley Car Hire Dublin Airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted