We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape Clear camping

cork
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cape Clear camping

Hi has anybody stayed in the tippees or yurts in Cape Clear and do you think its suitable for children.Is it reasonable to eat out ther for a few days?????????

London, United...
Level Contributor
88 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cape Clear camping

i recently stayed in a tipee and it was a lovely experience

it is definetly suitable for children the yurts are a higher standard and more expensive

you can also bring your own tents

the site is beautiful overlooking the harbour to the south of the island

it is resonable to eat there by irish standards with three different eating places with cathys kitchen providing a small but very tasty menu

went kayaking with a lovely lady whose name i forget in the south harbour

lovely walks on quiet country roads dont forget to call to the nice man in the heritage centre

i have been to most corners of ireland and this ranks with the best

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cape Clear camping

I visited Cape Clear recently and saw the yurts - the location was wonderful, overlooking the south harbour as noted by 123ie. However the yurts appeared to be located quite close to the edge of a rocky shoreline with (from memory) a bit of drop to sea level. You might want to check out that this part of the site is safe for small children.

Food options are limited - not surprising given that it's a small island but you can still eat quite well and won't starve!

cork
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Cape Clear camping

Hi i went and stayed in the yurt i wasnt too impressed ,a lot of creepy crawlies in the pading of the yurt and the earwigs freek me out. Yes your very right it is a bit too close to the rocky shoreline with a big drop down to see level.

Cork, Ireland
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Cape Clear camping

We stayed in a yurt there too this year. Kilarney10 - I think you're confusing camping with a 4 star hotel! Our yurt was spotless, and the odd insect is to be expected as it's an outdoor environment! The showers and toilets were spotless too and yes, there were moths but that's because the light was left on overnight so we could see! There was a fence seperating us from the cliff so I didn't feel nervous that my young children would fall. I'm stunned at this last person's comments, we've booked to go back next year....ahh, I know, they must be relations of Gillian on 'I'm a Celebrity, Get me out of here!' If you don't like insects, don't go camping, you may be better staying in a city...though remember, you're never more than 6 feet away from a rat even then! Sorry, these people annoyed me when we had such a beautiful stay with a wonderfully helpful and friendly couple in a stunning location in these cosy and peaceful yurts.

Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,463 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cape Clear camping

Oh, and I thought it was 'you are never more than 6 feet away from a spider?"

6. Re: Cape Clear camping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2011, 06:42
Get answers to your questions about Cape Clear Island
Recent Conversations