We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Doolin

USA
2 posts
Save Topic
Doolin

Planning trip to Ireland in July. Plan to spend a day or two in Galway and a day or two in Doolin area. Have not been to Doolin but hear there's much music there. Would like info on area. Also any good guidance on B&Bs. Is Doolin area as good as maybe Ennis would be for music, food, pubs, etc? Would like input and thanks. Will also be spending time in Sligo,Westport, Dingle, Killarney, Kinsale, Kilkenny and Dublin. Any insights about points of interest, music, etc would be appreciated. Thks

New Jersey
Level Contributor
56 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Doolin

I will be in Doolin in August and have booked into Doonmacfelim House (doonmacfelim.com) - its probably in the top 3 b&B's in Doolin. Three pubs in Doolin famous for their trad. While there, a short trip to the Cliffs or the Burren - lahinch is also very nice to visit and Ennis is a short ride away but farther than the sites just metioned. While in Doolin, you could take a ferry to one of the Arans for a day trip. The Doolin ferries offer the shortest ride. If you do, I suggest heading to Inishmore - beautiful, historic and some good fun.

atlanta, georgia
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Doolin

I just returned last Sunday from 10 days in Ireland. It was great. I drove thru Diilin but wanted to let you know that Dingle was incredible. When my daughter and I go back we are planning to spend a week there. We stayed at the Alpine Guest house. It was a really b&b. In Dublin we stayed at the Azalea lodge. The owners bent over backwards to take care of us. If you are into this sort of thing take the Dublin ghost bus tour. It was a hoot. Enjoy your trip.

N.Y via Clare
Level Contributor
392 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Doolin

Hi. If it's music you're into, and you're South of Doolin from July 2 to July 10th, check this out... www.setdancingnews.net/wcss/ Afternoons are the best in the pubs, with I'm sure arguably the best sessions you could ever find. I've seen like 50 people jammin' away. Good luck.

Denver
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Doolin

We just returned from Ballyvaughan in the Burren last week, not far from Doolin. Each night one of the pubs hosted local musicians, all were great!

Asheville, NC
Level Contributor
370 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Doolin

We just got back and Doolin was one of my favorite places in Ireland. We stayed at the Seascape B&B (http://homepage.eircom.net/~seascape/index.htm). They were very friendly and helpful. It is within walking distance of 2 of the 3 pubs and you could even walk to the 3rd if you wanted to, but it was a good walk. Doolin was such a great town and it is close to Cliff of Moher. There is a spot where you can take a boat ride to the Cliffs and the views from there are great even if you are not interested in the boat ride. I would HIGHLY recommend visiting. The pubs have local musicians playing there at night.

We also went to Dingle, Killarney, Kinsale, and Dublin. I would skip Dublin and stay in the othe cities. Dingle, Killarney, and Kinsale were all so wonderful! Dublin was like any other city and it was hard to even find Irish music in the bars there. Blarney was great too, but I think that is about as far east as we would go given the opportunity to visit Ireland again.

Good luck and have a great time.

N.Y via Clare
Level Contributor
392 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Doolin

Doolin is great. Props in the East go to Wicklow and Antrim.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Doolin

Hi Whipperwill, we're planning a trip to Ireland in July, too. Our daughter's hs graduation. A real 'out of the comfort zone' for my husband. Heard great things about the music in Doolin for muscian friend who played the pubs there and in Ennis. Excited to check it out.

We're doing the more south and westerly trek and wonder from forum friends if you have some advice. I have come up with a tentative itinerary. Would love feedback, especially re: length of time and driving distances/times.

* arrive SHN 7/6 7:45 am. thinking about Bunratty castle and folk park for the am to early afternoon. Then drive to Kinvarra, Villa Maria. How far/long is this?

* Would like to get to BB early-ish to rest. Then do the Dunguaire Castle banquet. Daughter is 17. She really loves Irish music and dance.

* Villa M has transport to Rossaveel for ARan Ils trip. I heard that the port from Doolin wasn't operating. It was condemned. Is this right?

* Most of the day on Aran Isl. Drive to BallyV for nightime accom. Thought we could drive to Doolin for Pub music and food from Bally V since tought to get accom in Doolin. Is it far from BallyV to Doolin?

* Morning in BallyV to check out the port. On to The Buren, Ailwee caves and Cliffs of Moher. What order should we do these? Is this too much for a day?????

* Thought we would do the next night in a neat famhouse in Newmarket on-Fergus, called Carhegal Farm. We could maybe check in and go back to Ennis for the pub/music/dance. My daughter really wants to see/learn some trad. Irish dance.

* Here's a big qt... We're thinking about leaving in the am for Dingle. Is this a long drive and what is the best route?

I am out of room. Will continue later. Thanks all. Luie

dublin
Level Contributor
32 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Doolin

there seems to be a paucity of Irish responses to this request - so ill give my two pence worth - doolin is wonderful - not much to it. It couldnt really be described as a town, more like a small collection of houses along a road. Dont be put off by this description, because it is a quite unique place. The pubs are great crack, with lots of music. In O Conners, they take their trad music particularly seriously. Just a little advice here - if you want to chat and have a laugh, sit a bit away from the musicaians, because otherwise you will get lots of shhhh's!.

Id have to highly recomend the Doolin cafe for food - a tiny little place but with beautiful fresh and simple food - wonderful salmon. (it was 2 years ago at any rate).

For a good day out take the ferry out to the arrann islands from doolin pier.

For a nice walk - walk around the rocks to the south of the harbour - on a windy day it is particularly beautiful with spray rising from the water giving it that "mystic" quality.

enjoy.

crofton, MD
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Doolin

Spent two weeks touring the West Coast of Ireland May 2005. We started our trek in Doolin for two nights, staying at the Seaview House B&B. Highly recommend this location. (See my review recently posted). Book early for that time of year as Doolin is very popular. Seaview House is a very short walk down a hill to the village. Great view of village and Sea from common area in the B&B and Darra could not be nicer. We toured the Burren from this location, as well as the Cliffs. Be sure to find the Castle up the hillside behind this B&B...worth the short drive. Music was great. Look for impromptu jam sessions in afternoon. Try Roadford House for dinner, if you want to get away from pub-fare. No comparison to Ennis, totally different experience by staying in this small, quaint place with sea and surf so close. Enjoy and take as many coastal roads as you can. Worth the drive for the views you will see. Unbelievable beauty.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Doolin

Hey, irelands own. I haven't been on lately. Daughter had HS gradaution today. Crazy busy + planning this trip all myself.

I love your suggestions re: Doolin. I saw Seaview before. i will try to book it on your rec. Wish we could spend 2 days but it's not in the alignment this visit. Will do the Burren 2nd day on way to Kilvarra from Ennis. Staying at Villa Maria near Dunguaire to take in the midieval banquet.

Taking ferry to Aran Isl from Galway City then back to Doolin late afternoon. Pub/trad music that night. Cliffs next day. Glad to find these perfect recommendations.

Another posted gave me site for Shannon ferry as we leave Doolin for Dingle. Saves 85 miles and lots of fun to take the ferry. TA is addicting. I love reading all the experiences and getting the great advice. Hope the Seaview has room for us.

Any other thoughts/suggestions? Luie