We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bird Watching in County Clare

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
8,040 posts
Save Topic
Bird Watching in County Clare

My husband and I are fairly keen bird watchers and wonder if there are any special places where we can see a decent number of birds as we pass through Co Clare?

Probably, see most along the coast during the time we're visiting in July/August?

Here in Michigan, we only bird watch in late April through the month of May and we are lucky enough to be on one of the migratory bird routes north from South and Central America. Between June and October, too much foliage to see anything easily.

However, as we haven't done any bird watching in Ireland prior to this, we'll be happy with whatever we get to see.

Some other time, we'd like to do Cape Clear and bird watching along the south west and south east coasts.

County Clare...
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
Level Contributor
8,408 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bird Watching in County Clare

Have a look at http://www.birdwatchireland.ie/, also clarelibrary.ie/eolas/…events_2004.htm can help.

Inis Boffin off Galway (www.irelandsislands.com) , Shannon Town Estuary among many many other places in locality - Cullane Lake near Tulla was had one of the few Cuckoo visits in the country this year.

Ferdia

County Clare...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,408 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bird Watching in County Clare

Also www.clarebirdwatching.com/content.html, Phil Brennan, artist & national school teacher is probably the best contact.

Ferdia

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,608 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bird Watching in County Clare

The dolphingwatching boat we went on from Carrigaholt last July took us over to the Kerry cliffs to get up really close to nesting fulmers. It was a great experience to see these birds nesting in the cliffs as it is normally something you would not from the land. I would really recommend this trip. If interested in the birds rather than the dophins, best check ahead if they are going to go that far.

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
8,040 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bird Watching in County Clare

Really looking forward to checking out these web sites and places. Again, thanks for such prompt, practical and helpful responses.

I will post trip details in due course; meantime, we'll savor the prospect of our visit.

Bay Village, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bird Watching in County Clare

We saw an amazing variety of birds when we took the cruise along the Cliffs of Moher from the Doolin pier. Puffins were really neat! There was a bird watching lady that took the trip just to see the birds. The captain was very helpful in pointing out all the different birds nesting on the different rock formations.

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
8,040 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bird Watching in County Clare

Thanks to irishrover and mom83 for the information on the fulmers, puffins, and, also, the dolphins. Personally, I would love to do some bir watching from the water but it will likely be at another time as my husband is only comfortable on terra firma. We once took one of those 'glass-bottomed' boat trips on Lake Superior to see the shipwrecks. There wasn't a ripple on the water but my husband was still very queasy and was glad when it was over.

When I mentioned the cruise and boat elements of your posts, he said 'You mean, going out onto the ocean. I don't think so'.

You know, I can't afford to talk, as heights are my challenge; hence my wanting to avoid the Cliffs of Moher, especially when I read of a recent tragic accident there.

County Clare...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,408 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bird Watching in County Clare

Although many not happy with the sheets of Liscannor stone placed along the walkway, this does give a more secure feeling to those afraid of heights - making it possible possible for you to visit?

Have a look at web page - www.cliffsofmoher.ie

There is a parking fee of €8, - and admission fee to information centre, if you want to enter.

Ferdia

Bay Village, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bird Watching in County Clare

Uasal. You will be smart not to go out on the Cliffs of Moher cruise if either you or your husband has any degree of motion sickness. I have never been seasick in my life and I grew up on boats in South Fla. We took the Cliffs cruise on a beautiful, sunny day the end of May with very little wind. Still, the waves were significant and the swells were really strong. I was stunned when, as we were heading back to the pier, I started to feel queasy!! My husband had already turned green earlier into the trip. It took us both about an hour to get our appetite back to eat lunch.

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
8,040 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Bird Watching in County Clare

Thanks to everyone for all your informative imput. We'll stay on dry land for all our bird watching this time, or, at least, try not to get more than our feet wet!

10. Re: Bird Watching in County Clare

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2009, 11:16
Get answers to your questions about County Clare