We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help w/itinerary please....august/09

wisconsin
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
help w/itinerary please....august/09

Hi,

We are a family of three - two adults and a nine year old. I'm trying to figure out travel arrangements (for August/09) and wanted to get feedback on the following itinerary to see if it is feasible...

Arrive into Dublin (stay 2 nights)and leave by train to Killarney...

rent a car there (stay and explore Kerry for 5 nights)...

then on to Clare by ferry from Tarbert to Killimer (stay and explore 5 nights in Clare)....

then drive back to Dublin for departing flight.

Clare:

Any suggestions on where to stay? We would like to base our travels out of one spot for the 5 nights.

How can we find out about festivals, classes, or cultural events planned during August?

Also, one last question: I was looking at lodging options at colleges and universities - any feedback about this idea when traveling with a child?

County Clare...
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
Level Contributor
8,398 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help w/itinerary please....august/09

"I was looking at lodging options at colleges and universities - any feedback about this idea when traveling with a child?"

The only real college in county Clare is the Shannon hotel college, in Shannon town - so I'm guessing that this part of the question relates to the Dublin part of your trip.

I would say - with a child, it is hard to match Lahinch as a base. It's convenient to the major attractions, the Burren, cliffs and the ferry service from Doolin.

I have put these lists together that might be of use:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186595-c51813/County…

Also this, I'll check the links tomorrow - sometimes the festival lapse over two months, so check July & September.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186595-c92761/County…

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,202 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help w/itinerary please....august/09

I would agree with Ferdia's suggestion of Lahinch as a base in Clare. The beach is very safe and there are some really nice places to eat.

You will be close to the Burren and the Cliffs of Moher and I think the 9 year old will enjoy the visitor's centre at the cliffs.

You might even consider a day trip to the Aran Islands from Doolin. http://www.doolinferries.com/

The Aillwee Caves in the Burren are a big hit with children of that age.My two boys used to love our trips there. http://www.aillweecave.ie/

There are some very good children's surfing camps in Lahinch but that might tie you down too much.

Have a look anyway : www.lahinchsurfschool.com/kids-teens.html

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: help w/itinerary please....august/09

Hi Katu,

If I was you I'd get out of Dublin as quick as I could, theres nothing special about it. I'd head to kerry, maybe a bit of Killarney, avoid the town unless you want to be a typical tourist and go beyond to the fab scenery around the lakes. Definately hit Dingle, especially the Slea Head Drive beyond the town. If I was you then I'd skip Clare and go straight to Galway, plenty to do for the nine year old and you could explore a bit of Connemara, head towards Roundstone maybe. Then back to Dublin. Sligo is gorgeous too by the way, and not too touristy...enjoy!

Ireland
Level Contributor
916 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help w/itinerary please....august/09

Hi Katu,

For the Dublin part, there is accomodation available in Trinity College Dublin for visitors. There are apartments with 1,2 or 3 bedrooms and some are doubles. All have at least one bathroom. Most of these new type are located in Goldsmith Hall, on Pearse St, Westland Row junction, just on the edge of campus. Hope this helps B

Link www.tcd.ie/accommodation/Visitors/

5. Re: help w/itinerary please....august/09

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 November 2009, 05:26