We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Burren Centre at Kilfenora

Melbourne
Level Contributor
453 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
The Burren Centre at Kilfenora

I looked at the website for the Burren Centre and it said "book online now". Does this mean that you have to book to visit or can you just turn up? Is it worth visiting?

Thanks.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5,248 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Burren Centre at Kilfenora

You don't have to book online. I would advise waiting until you arrive in Kilfenora and decide wether you want to visit or not.

It's years since I have visited the centre so hopefully somebodyelse will be able to give more uptodate info on wether it's worth visting or not.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,508 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Burren Centre at Kilfenora

If you have an interest in the History Fauna and Flora of this unique area then yes the visitors centre is worth visiting. Be aware though that despite Kilfenora being a wonderful little town in the heart of the Burren and I drive through there on a regular basis it tends to be off the usual tourist radar.

San Diego
Level Contributor
124 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Burren Centre at Kilfenora

Last fall, we stopped at the Burren Centre in Kilfenora and saw the video and looked at the exhibits, which was a worthwhile introduction to the area. I think we spent maybe 30 - 45 minutes there. We just walked in and there was hardly anyone else there, so I would not book ahead. Also, it is right next door to the Kilfenora Cathedral (ruined) with its high crosses, which is also an interesting site to visit.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,085 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Burren Centre at Kilfenora

We were in Kilfenora for a couple hours, but did not visit the Burren Center. However, if you decide you want to do that, it would be worthwhile to download the free Shannon Discount card which gives a 25% discount on the Burren Center and many other sites in the Shannon region: www.shannonregiontourism.ie/25DiscountCard/

If you are in Kilfenora, DO go to the ruins of the Kilfenora cathedral and see the high crosses. The signage there is excellent and gives a lot of good info. There is a large cross outside of the cathedral which you should walk to as well.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
453 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Burren Centre at Kilfenora

Thanks for the helpful information. I think we will play it by ear when we are there. I will also check out the discount card.

6. Re: The Burren Centre at Kilfenora

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2012, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about County Clare