We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sykes cottage rentals

indiana
Level Contributor
111 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Sykes cottage rentals

Has anyone used this website to rent a house in Ireland?

Need to book a centralized place in Co. Clare

Need 2BR 2 Baths for 4 adults.

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sykes cottage rentals

They've been around for a while, but I'm afraid I've not used them. Are you looking for coastal, town or rural location?

Another site you might like to "compare and contrast":

http://www.imagineireland.com/default.asp

Paola
Level Contributor
8 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sykes cottage rentals

Before even you dare thinking about traveling make sure you contact Sykes Cottages first. It is imperative!

You are only allowed to travel when they tell you to. They decide which dates you leave and return as their properties can only be rented every Saturday for 7, 14, 21 or 28 days. Don't you dare plan your holidays unless its in sevens....

Don't waste time browsing their website and properties unless you fancy Saturday.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sykes cottage rentals

weird post.

most, if not all, holiday cottages are Saturday to Saturday

nothing sinister in this . its just normal

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sykes cottage rentals

Yes: Saturday arrival, usually for a 7/14/21-night duration is normal practice for most rentals, whether through a company or direct with the property owner - and not only for Ireland: we've rented in England, France and Italy.

Occasionally if travelling off-season or last-minute arrival times and durations may be negotiable.

Edited: 29 June 2012, 21:06
Paola
Level Contributor
8 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sykes cottage rentals

Hi all, although I do not need to justify my post I will explain what led me to write it.

1. Sykes Cottages, or any other company, is free to have policies as much as they want. However policies that effect customers should be visible and the first lines on a website. Why? Coz its frustrating that after wasting time browsing and sifting thru properties, and finding the one you like, you receive an automated reply saying that you are only allowed to rent in sevens!

2. What is weird is that in this day and age there are still "tourists", whether domestic or foreign, that accept such behaviour and call it normal!

3. Sykes Cottages was the only Irish company from all those that were listed in my google search that replied to me with such a silly policy.

4. In a period of recession you do not refuse a 16 night stay coz you have an outdated silly policy!

5. I wonder if the property owners of the 17 properties that lost our custom know about this.

6. What if a flight arrives on Sunday afternoon. What should the customers do? Roam freely until Sykes Cottages is comfortable with their policy to check them in? or leave on a Saturday when your flight happens to be on a Sunday evening?? Come guys this is ridiculous and harms the tourist industry.

7. Its the service provider who should adapt to the customers' needs and not the other way round. I am not asking anything for free.

regards

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
18,926 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sykes cottage rentals

So Who are the others with "modern policies"

The only one I know of is Imagine Ireland where some but not all properties can be rented, (outside peak season) for 3 or 4 days, "subject to availability" and at a price not far short of a 7 day rental, 5 days is the same as 7 days.

Perhaps you wanted the owner of your Ideal photo' cottage to meet you at 10pm on a Sunday night and check you out before 10 mid week at strictly pro rata prices?

Saturday to Saturday is industry standard practically world wide for 90% of Self catering, not connected to a complex.

Paola
Level Contributor
8 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sykes cottage rentals

@ tony2phones. Without sounding rude, who are you to judge and write sweeping statements? If I needed to be met at 10pm on Sunday night, as you put it and check out before 10 mid week, thats my prerogative and not yours. Obviously if the owner is willing to accept this then I am prepared to pay for it. My original comment was not against the policy the Sykes Cottages have. But simply because this policy is hidden from their customers until you have wasted precious time on their website. If this is common practice to you, its not obvious to others. I am not going to waste anymore time searching the net. I am sure you have google so you can check yourself who the other companies are. We met tens of owners and company managers who are and were willing to accept normal bookings as per the customers needs and not vice versa. If people like yourself are happy to be used as puppets on a string and need to be told what to do, how and when to do it, then that is up to you. If you are happy with that, keep it up. But company providers must make their policies clear. Now I understand why many companies are in such a state.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
18,926 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sykes cottage rentals

Well that'll be me told then??

I am just devils advocate trying to get information for others as to which Agencies actually do pander to irregular customer requirements.

Having checked Sykes web site, and done a dummy booking for a 3 day Sunday start and before booking reached the page asking for details

"Please note that you have chosen a non-standard duration or arrival day. For further assistance, complete the reservation request below or call us"

Now if the problem comes after that page. What is it? Do they not return calls or emails or do they just say sorry that property is not available matching your requirements?

Or are they the sort of company who just cant take anything being said against their individual ideas without clarifying just what the problem is?

Criticism is unfortunately a pointless endeavour unless there is a constructive element.

Advising people against one company but also advising for another might be more helpful?

Actually this has been quite helpful as I have found a place to meet my personal requirements for next month

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sykes cottage rentals

Ian P,

Perhaps it is different where you come from, but from personal experience I would say that anywhere in the UK or Ireland, the standard accepted booking period for a holiday let is seven days or multiples of 7, Saturday to Saturday.

We have booked cottages in England, Ireland Scotland and Wales for over 30 years and it has always been the always the same. If it is not made clear it is probably because it is assumed by all to be the case.

We have had 10 day holidays in Ireland, you book B and B for the first night and arrive at your cottage midday Saturday - you leave at midday the next Saturday - if your flight is Sunday, you move to a B and B near the airport for the last night.

Point 5.'' I wonder if the property owners of the 17 properties that lost our custom know about this.''

I dont think you can say 17 owners lost out , unless you were going to stay in all of them!!!

Paola
Level Contributor
8 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sykes cottage rentals

Good. I honestly wish you all the best for next month. I criticised the policy and not the company. The non-standard duration notice comes well after you have browsed their properties, in vain.

I did not criticise Sykes to advertise someone else. Wouldn't be nice and ethical.

@fuchsiagirl... Of course I was not going to stay in all of them, but one definitely lost out. And I am pretty sure I am not the only one on Earth looking for a cottage in Ireland. So everyone loses. Do not take this remark as personal, because it is not. I hate the "it has always been the same" mentality. Things need to change to improve. Now if owners are so financially strong to loose a 16night stay, then good luck to them. Luckily I have found others who accepted our booking without any conditions or stupid policies. I am more than glad and willing to spend my money there. Once back from the holiday will leave the appropriate review for others to consider. Cant understand why you (plural) defend a policy that is against you. It seems you are happy to incur additional expenses, at your expense! Everyone get what s/he deserves.