We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to spend 3rd night in County Clare

Slidell, Louisiana
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Where to spend 3rd night in County Clare

We have 9 days in western Ireland. We arrive in Shannon and drive to Ballyvaughn where we spend 2 nights. We will probably decompress in Ballyvaughn the first day and go to Galway the second day. The next AM we have a walking tour of the Burren. I thought we would drive on to the Cliffs of Moher that afternoon. We are due in Dingle on the forth night where we will spend 5 nights before staying in Adare the night before we leave. After we see the Cliffs of Moher where should I stay in Southeast County Clare and what should I see prior to taking the ferry over to Dingle the next afternoon?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
50,691 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to spend 3rd night in County Clare

I would probably just stay put for a third night. The Cliffs of Moher are only about a 30 minute trip from Ballyvaughn, so I don't see the point of packing up and checking in and out of different places for a one hour round trip.

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to spend 3rd night in County Clare

Agree with IrishFan re 3 nights in Ballyvaughan. There's alot to see in this area:

tripadvisor.co.uk/GoListDetail-i19855-Burren…

flickr.com/photos/…

Ballyvaughan - Dingle

Drive will take around 4hrs if you take the ferry across the Shannon; recommend you take a short diversion to Loop Head before catching the ferry, and also stop in the town of Listowel, Kerry:

tripadvisor.co.uk/GoListDetail-i21401-Ballyv…

http://www.loopheadclare.com/

flickr.com/photos/…

http://www.listowel.ie/activities.htm

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
17,721 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to spend 3rd night in County Clare

Be careful you don't venture into the deepest darkest unknown of Eastern Galway and Clare around Lough Derg. Not in many guide books and a greater chance of bumping into natives.

Personally I would recommend heading straight to Galway night one, Clifden night two and then a night in Clare, probably Ennis. Get to see some of Ireland and the Irish before 6 days of familiar accents.

Chicago
Level Contributor
283 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to spend 3rd night in County Clare

On this drive south from Galway (if one is headed to Adare as I am :) is it better to do as you say and head out towards Miltown, Kilkee and the Loop head or...should we drive straight south from Galway toward Ennis and Limerick? We don't mind the drive, we'd rather head the more scenic route.

Thanks (sorry for the question detour)

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,721 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to spend 3rd night in County Clare

Provided you have the full day then you can go straight down the coast include loop head and cross the Shannon ferry. If you only have half a day then you can still race down the coast, cut across to Ennis from Ennistymon and join the main N18 through the tunnel to Adare. Galway to Adare direct would be 1 1/2 hours straight down the main arterial route.

Chicago
Level Contributor
283 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to spend 3rd night in County Clare

Thanks Tony,

I think we may have to skip the Loop Head (unless it's that good that we shouldn't). We'll be overnighting on an Aran island the night before, probably spending the morning on the island and taking the ferry back too, so we'll not have enough time. Your advice has been so helpful!!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,721 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to spend 3rd night in County Clare

You could always do Loop Head as a full day trip if you get bored of driving the same roads on Dingle for 5 days.

8. Re: Where to spend 3rd night in County Clare

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2013, 20:17