We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Durty Dolphins

County Clare...
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
Level Contributor
8,377 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Durty Dolphins

If you happen to be in the Shannon / Bunratty area, drop by the bridge adjoining Durty Nellys.

Four dolphins have set up home in the muddy Raite river below (in a bid to escape a bullying from the more hostile bottlenose breed further out in the estuary.)

The have been swimming here all day:)

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,025 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Durty Dolphins

Wow Ferdia. I must take a drive down and have a look.

Thanks for the heads up;

County Clare...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,377 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Durty Dolphins

Enjoy Bannergirl.

I didn't get a chance to have a look for them today, but I'm sure they're still there.

If not...there's always Durty Nellys:)

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,935 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Durty Dolphins

We'll be heading out there later (if the kids ever get out of bed). We're hoping to get up to Galway for a while.

Hopefully they'll still be there.

Thanks for posting.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,392 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Durty Dolphins

What's that Flipper, they're giving away free pints up in Durty Nellies, and Bean A will be there with the kids, and the kids are on their Easter Holidays and everyone is going to explode from chocolate ingestion? To the BatCave Flipper, we've got work to do. Squeaaakkk Squeaaaakkk

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,935 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Durty Dolphins

Bean A will be there with one belligerent child and one teen. Be afraid, be VERY afraid!! :o))

We'll probably head straight to Galway at this stage (contemplating feeding one of them to the dolphins and the social workers might have a field day if I do!! So we'll see)

County Clare...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,377 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Durty Dolphins

The vis ain't good Bean & Bryno...the poor things look out of their depth in the durty water:)

Hopefully they'll return to safer waters soon.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,935 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Durty Dolphins

Well we finally got there having managed to extricate with much difficulty, one from bed and one from the shower!!

When we arrived there (at about noon) the dolphins were very active and we got some very clear views of them from the bridge between Nellies and Avoca. It was an incredible sight. And a privilege to watch.

However it was annoying to see people with dogs down by the riverbank and others nearby emitting loud whistles.

We then headed up to Galway for the day and had a lovely time. We had a walk on White Strand in Galway and came home via Kinvarra and Black Head. It was an absolutely gorgeous day. Ireland is incredible when the sun shines.

We paid another visit to the dolphins on our way home. However by this time, the tide was out and the sun was starting to set. We could see occasional glimpses of fins.

Yes the water is quite cloudy and I'm sure the food supply will soon run out. But it was a lovely sight.

Thanks for alerting us to this Ferdia.

Edited: 03 April 2013, 22:02
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,386 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Durty Dolphins

clareherald.com/2013/…more

County Clare...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,377 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Durty Dolphins

Well - the dolphins have finally returned to the estuary after an 18 year absence from Bunratty.

Their last visit to Bunratty (different dolphins I suspect) in 1995 coincided with the best summer on record (Clare also won the All Ireland that year)...so maybe Ken Ring might be right after all? :)

independent.ie/weather/weather-guru-ken-ring…

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,935 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Durty Dolphins

Ferdia, you know I think you are wonderful but.....

In relation to Mr Ring, the article said: "But he is also listing April 16 to April 25, May 12 to May 19 and June 17 to 25 as optimum times for booking a week in the sun in Ireland."

Today is the 18th April. Blustery winds and rain abound. Last night was chaos as planes were being diverted from Cork and Dublin Airports to Shannon, Belfast and the UK. Walters Fuels in Watch House Cross in Limerick are still doing a roaring trade in coal and briquettes.

I hope the dolphins live long and prosper in Bunratty. I was talking about them to someone this morning, recommending that she take her toddler out to see them. They are a magnificent sight.