We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Horse market in Ennistymon the first Monday of July?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,195 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Horse market in Ennistymon the first Monday of July?

Hello,

According to LP, there is a horse market in Ennistymon on the first Monday of the month. The problem is that the LP guidebook seems to be the only source for this information...

When I do a search, I only find a Horse Fair for April and November.

If there is a horse market, will there be one for the first Monday of July? If yes, when & where is it held?

Thank you!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,673 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Horse market in Ennistymon the first Monday of July?

List of Irish Shows this year http://www.irishshows.org/ nothing for Ennistymon, Horse markets are not as common occurrence as they used to be.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,195 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Horse market in Ennistymon the first Monday of July?

Thanks Tony, that's what I suspected.

LP guidebooks are notorious for keeping outdated and unchecked info on their pages... laziest revision writers in the industry, IMHO.

Edited: 19 May 2013, 19:45
Dublin
Level Contributor
914 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Horse market in Ennistymon the first Monday of July?

Most of these horse fairs would horrify anyone if they were to realize the extent of neglect that the poor animals traded at these places are subject to. They are hideous and should be outlawed.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,240 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Horse market in Ennistymon the first Monday of July?

I would agree with Hpurple. If you have any regard for animal welfare, the few remaining horse fairs are not the place to be

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,195 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Horse market in Ennistymon the first Monday of July?

Thank you for the feedback, I was not aware of the issue.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,673 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Horse market in Ennistymon the first Monday of July?

Townie v Culchie,,, There are a few issues fine, but most horse fairs are well organised, well run and well regulated.

We have a few dogs round here wearing Yokes, a piece of 3" branch about 10" long that hangs from the Dogs Collar..and stops them running...Looks odd. looks cruel? Someone staying at the local lodge decided to remove one, seeing the dog when walking. Two dead sheep and a shot dog later they apologised for not understanding.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,240 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Horse market in Ennistymon the first Monday of July?

"Townie v Culchie,,,"??????

I'm a bit of both, and I see no excuse for cruelty to animals whatever your background. I have (unfortunately) witnessed the Smithfield and Ballinasloe Horse Fairs at first hand, and no "cultural" excuse justifies the widespread mistreatment of animals (including dogs) that I have seen

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Horse market in Ennistymon the first Monday of July?

I'm with Soonas here, country born and bred, brought up with shooting your own dinner, Dad used to poach a bit, kept dogs and horses. no sentiment involved, (Dad's family were knackers ) but Horse fairs are not the way to buy and sell living feeling animals.

Edited: 20 May 2013, 18:38
9. Re: Horse market in Ennistymon the first Monday of July?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2014, 06:16