We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Part of a day" trip Last Sunday

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,303 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
"Part of a day" trip Last Sunday

I just thought I'd post this up so that others might get an idea of what is possible as a day trip to Co. Clare from Limerick.

Last Sunday was Easter Sunday. The sun was shining and Grandma was away and elder daughter was studying for final exams in Cork so it was just the four of us. We'd been to a fabulous Easter Vigil Service the night before and got up late. Well, three of us got up late, the fourth (aged 17 and three quarters) - after much persuasion and a number of threats - emerged after mid-day. A picnic was packed, rolls and the Sunday Newspapers were bought.

We finally left home at 12.40. There were two BIG matches on in the Gaelic Grounds (Galway v Kilkenny and Clare v Tipperary) and the traffic around the Condell and Ennis Road areas was crazy. There was a traffic jam on the Ennis Road out as far as Setrights Cross (for those of you who know the area, thats a LONG traffic jam). We drove up the M18 - N18 as far as Ardrahan and then turned off to the left and went over to Kinvara.

Kinvara is one of my favourite places and we normally call in if we're on the way home from Galway. However, the day that was in it, it was packed. We took a walk around the town (beautiful as ever) and decided to head down the coast.

We drove as far as New Quay, which is a beautiful little area on the sea, and went down to the beach area. We had a lovely picnic in the car, overlooking the sea and took a walk. Part of the road near the beach has been damaged and the loop road out to Finvarra from the beach in New Quay is impassible - damaged irreparably, I'd think. So we went to Finvarra Martello Tower via one of the "inland" roads. It is still beautiful and the sea was an incredible colour. Very calm as well despite the winds.

We then drove down to the Burren Perfumery, arriving at about 4pm (closing time at the moment is 5pm) - which I recommend a lot here www.burrenperfumery.com Had a lovely cuppa and scones in the little coffee shop. Then we took a walk around the herb garden and then visited the perfumery shop. Lots of lovely scents to try and grumpy 17 and three quarters year old actually smiled when she bought a lovely vanilla and lavender scent. Male thirteen year old liked the scents a lot too (particularly the very masculine ones) but asked me not to mention it as boys/teen-men aren't supposed to express appreciation for such things. It really was nice. And was very busy.

We then drove to the nearby Poulnabrone Dolmen which was very busy. Here you can get to see some of the Burren limestone up close. The light was good and I got some nice photographs. Again very much worth a visit.

We then drove down towards Lahinch, arriving at about 6.15. We wanted to see how the repairs were going. Some of you may not be aware that Lahinch Prom was totally damaged by the winter storms. We were very pleasantly surprised to see that Clare County Council had done some wonderful repairs and many of the businesses were back in operation. The playground is also back in operation. Sea World, sadly, is not. And you could see how strong the storms had been by the damage to some of the metal shuttering.

We then returned home to Limerick and were lucky enough to get a table in the Cornstore on Thomas Street, on spec. This is easily one of our favourite restaurants and the food was, as usual, spectacularly good. We've NEVER had a bad meal here and the staff are always extremely pleasant. Even if you don't want to eat there, they have a lovely cocktail bar.

We had a very enjoyable day and for those of you without a grumpy 17 and three quarter year old (for hire - reasonable rates, please PM me!!) you could visit Bunratty Castle and Folk Park in the morning and still manage the rest in a relaxed and easy manner.

Edited: 23 April 2014, 10:16
grafton
Level Contributor
634 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "Part of a day" trip Last Sunday

Thank you so much Bean for this report. You got my interest immediately talking about your grumpy 17 and 3/4 year old. Amazing how much lighter the mood in the house is, when everything is ok in their world!

Our 5th and nearly 18 year old is hoping to have a gap year in England next year and is why we are travelling in 2015.

Trying to work out how long to stay in areas has been a challenge and your report of what you can see in a day has been very helpful.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,303 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "Part of a day" trip Last Sunday

I'm glad its been of assistance Ned. Lucky your "nearly 18 year old " with a gap year in England.

Its a fabulous country, so much to see and so much to experience. I hope the planning goes well.

Center Moriches...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "Part of a day" trip Last Sunday

Thank you, Bean, for this report. Very sad to hear about all the damage along the coast.

Bluff Dale, Texas
Level Contributor
167 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "Part of a day" trip Last Sunday

Great report, I once had a grumpy 17 year old, but alas they grow up to quickly. Now she is a grumpy 30 year old. We will be staying in a B&B there in Kinarva in September, and it always a joy to read about the places we will be visiting.

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,119 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "Part of a day" trip Last Sunday

Thanks for the lovely report, Bean.

I am lucky enough to do this trip on a regular basis from different approaches to the Burren and can never get enough of it.

Last Sunday, I was one of the ones stuck in that traffic jam on the way to the hurling:-) And it was pretty bad.

I have still not managed to have a cuppa at the Burren Perfumery as I always seem to visit in Winter when it is closed.

Glad you had a nice day.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
10,456 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "Part of a day" trip Last Sunday

Nice day out :)

North Lanarkshire...
Level Contributor
602 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "Part of a day" trip Last Sunday

I really enjoyed reading this and I'm sure it will be very helpful to people. Love your narrative style! :-) Your descriptions really made alive your wee jaunt! I now have a craving for scones and tea, preferably with jam and clotted cream. It's sad to read about the storm damage though. Some things can never be recovered.

I particularly enjoyed reading about your seventeen-and-three-quarter year old offspring, albeit I'm not in the least tempted to hire her services myself. Having had three of the female variety and one of the male variety myself I'm all teenaged out. I reckon you ought to show her this thread and then come back and report her reaction. Or perhaps not.

It was lovely to see that you had been to a fabulous Easter Vigil Service. I actually didn't go to our Vigil this year as I had a grandchild being Christened on Easter Sunday. However, I managed to "attend" several Easter Vigils in various towns in Ireland courtesy of the power of the internet! It was fascinating to see the different styles of churches and the different types of liturgical music being played.

For anyone who's interested in seeing different churches, here's a great website where they broadcast live.. I think most of them have service schedules on their pages if you want to see a service. Tuam Cathedral was gorgeous. Sometimes they're not all online though.

http://www.mcnmedia.tv/index.asp

Or maybe it's just me that's "sad"!

Fanore, County Clare
Level Contributor
640 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: "Part of a day" trip Last Sunday

That's a lovely report, Bean.Hopefully it may encourage people to spend more time in the Burren and not just flying through it on the way to Galway or Dingle

Macclesfield...
Level Contributor
139 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: "Part of a day" trip Last Sunday

Thanks Bean A for the great report. Will consider this for our trip!

I find 17 3/4 are great for babysitting! =) hope she's less grumpy at 18 now.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,303 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: "Part of a day" trip Last Sunday

Nolenurse, University places are out tomorrow morning at 6am so she's quite nervous!!

Glad it has been of assistance.