We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do day 1?

Florida
Destination Expert
for Miami, Key Largo
Level Contributor
3,753 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
What to do day 1?

Hi - just starting to put our trip from Miami to Ireland in August together. I'm not excited by the overnight flight/early AM arrival. I curious about how others approach this first day. I'm thinking about having a driver pick us up at the airport and do some kind of tour (Cliffs?). Then have an early night and be up bright and early the next day.

Thoughts on that plan?

We'll be moving the 2nd night to Dromoland but given the price, I want to be awake during our stay at the castle!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
12,652 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do day 1?

How early will you land?

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,877 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do day 1?

Depends where you plan to stay night 1, If Ennis or Limerick you can get the bus, drop your bags and go to the cliffs by public bus?

Edited: 28 April 2014, 21:31
Florida
Destination Expert
for Miami, Key Largo
Level Contributor
3,753 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do day 1?

We land at about 9 AM. I like the idea of dropping bags but I doubt we would want to take a bus day 1. This needs to be mistake-proof given that we will be tired.

I would want to stay somewhere that makes it easy to get the car for day 2. Although the other option would be get the car, drive to nearby hotel and then meet a guide.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,877 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do day 1?

How about Galway, easy bus ride from Shannon Airport and then take an afternoon sceduled tour of the Cliffs and Burren from there.. Next day bus back down to SNN for the car (assuming airport collection) Or Budget car hire have a Galway city office.

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,293 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do day 1?

If you follow Tony's suggestion of booking your first night in Ennis, you could book a day trip to the Burren and Cliffs of Moher and be picked up and dropped back to Ennis.

https:/…

www.visitennis.ie

edit; sorry, I had typed this before the last two replies, but will leave it in anyway

Edited: 28 April 2014, 22:00
Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
109 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do day 1?

I don't know if this will benefit you or not, but we just recently returned and our flight arrived at 7:00 am. We picked up the car, dropped our bags at the B&B then went to get phone and money and breakfast, then went to Bunratty Castle and folk park for a bit and around 2:00 went back to the B&B for a rest before going out for dinner.

We were not falling down tired and adjusted quick to the time difference.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,877 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do day 1?

Healy's do a 1pm to 6pm tour of the Cliffs and Burren from Galway galwaybustours.ie/cliffs-of-moher-burren-tour but it is possible getting the bus there and back www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1279723383-337.pdf www.buseireann.ie/news_timetable.php…

Edited: 28 April 2014, 22:31
Silver Spring, MD
Level Contributor
190 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do day 1?

Our flight arrived at Shannon at 0530! We went ahead and rented the car but knew we'd need to rest from previous experience. Last visit seven years ago we went touring right away and everyone was so cranky by the afternoon it was awful. :) So this time we drove straight to a B&B for breakfast (prearranged) and they graciously allowed us to hang out (fall asleep) in their living room until our room was ready later in the morning. A nap until 1230 had us well-fitted to tour Bunratty in leisurely way, have a great meal at Durty Nelly's and a good night's sleep. We took it easy but had enough fun to feel like we didn't waste the first day.

Florida
Destination Expert
for Miami, Key Largo
Level Contributor
3,753 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do day 1?

All great advice and posts. Keep em coming!

10. Re: What to do day 1?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 May 2015, 06:15