We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with one night stay.

Which Ennis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Escondido...
Level Contributor
372 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Help with one night stay.

I will be arriving in Shannon on Dec. 24th this year to start a 15 day vacation with my family. I want a one night stay when we arrive because after a long flight I thought it would be better to be well rested before a two hour drive to Killarney. I was thinking about Bunratty for one night, but someone recommended Ennis for one night. Does anyone have any recommendations? We have reservations for a one week stay in Killarney on the 25th of Dec. I am also concerned if we will be able to find places to stay and to eat. Many of the B&B's that I have contacted are closed for the holidays.

County Meath...
Level Contributor
3,292 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with one night stay.

I just had a quick look at www.ireland.com/hotels & it came up with 15 hotels in Limerick open on the 24th Decmeber.Limerick City is 30-45 minutes drive from Shannon airport.

County Clare...
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
Level Contributor
8,360 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with one night stay.

The Radisson between Shannon Town and Limerick City might not be in the most scenic of locations - but they have a very popular Christmas programme.

http://www.radissonblu.ie/hotel-limerick

Escondido...
Level Contributor
372 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with one night stay.

Thanks to the two of you for the information on Limerick and the Radison hotel. I will check them both out. I know the Bunratty castle hotel is open for Christmas Eve, but the castle and grounds are not open so I was not sure if it is worth staying there if they are closed.

County Clare...
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
Level Contributor
8,360 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with one night stay.

Bunratty Castle Hotel is a nice hotel in Bunratty Village, but it is a (relatively) recent structure - the castle is across the other side of the village (it is a tiny village) and its grounds, park and the castle itself will not be open on Christmas day.

Are you sure that you can stay at Bunratty Castle Hotel on Christmas eve??

(Although hotels will be open on Christmas Eve - mostly they will not have stayovers that night.)

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
17,704 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with one night stay.

Ennis is a good stopover, but the wrong direction for Killarney. If you are arriving early then I suggest you get some breakfast and take a steady drive to Killarney. If its a late flight then I am pretty sure the Oakwood Arms in Shannon operates Christmas eve.

The drive to Killarney from Shannon is fairly good and it might be the case that your hosts from the 25th will accommodate you a day early.

If you do stop over anywhere contact them directly rather than through a booking agent, even places which are closed have been known to get booked through agents.

Escondido...
Level Contributor
372 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with one night stay.

I checked the website for Bunratty castle hotel and it shows the price for the stay on the 24th of December. I just wanted a B&B because I thought the family home/experience would be nicer for my family. I hear that the Irish are very friendly and I like the idea of meeting more locals than a tourist hotel. My week stay in Killarney is at a timeshare. I tried contacting them through their website but they never replied back to me. I guess I could try calling them.

7. Re: Help with one night stay.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 July 2010, 05:18