We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip - Ennis or Limerick or both?

Which Ennis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Day Trip - Ennis or Limerick or both?

I'll be in Ireland for five days in September. The plan is to spend the first night in Dublin to catch up on sleep, then take a bus to Galway for two nights. From there, I'm thinking of spending the day making a loop back to Dublin through Ennis and Limerick. Is this too much for one day? Would it be better to pick either Ennis or Limerick to for a stop, and if so, which one? Thanks!

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,636 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trip - Ennis or Limerick or both?

Why Limerick or Ennis?

If you are only in Ireland for 5 days, neither would be high on my list.

What do you want to see in Ireland?

If it was me, or a relative, what I would be suggesting is that you tour Dublin in a HoHo bus, visit Glendalough and perhaps spend a couple of nights in Galway but do a bus tour of Connemara.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,150 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trip - Ennis or Limerick or both?

I am a big fan of Ennis but as a touring base not a day trip. Limerick has enough to offer to keep you busy a few hours but if you are looking to have somewhere else to make into a loop with different scenery, take the Bus from Galway to Westport for the train back to Dublin

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trip - Ennis or Limerick or both?

I must agree with Bean and Tony. I am from Limerick and live in Ennis and love them both, but I don't think they would be great destinations for such a short trip.

Either suggestion by Bean or Tony would be good or you could consider staying an extra day in Galway and take a day tour to the Burren and Cliffs of Moher.

Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trip - Ennis or Limerick or both?

I have to disagree with the above. I'm from Galway and prefer Limerick. Galway is ok for 20/30 somethings who want pubs. It offers little in the way of tourist attractions.

Limerick on the other hand offers the Hunt Museum, St.Marys Cathedral, King Johns Castle etc etc.

I find Limerick people very negative about their city. It must be St.Munchins curse.

You can get back from Limerick by train www.irishrail.ie for €14.99 if booked 3 days in advance or by bus for €10 pay the driver www.dublincoach.ie.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,636 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trip - Ennis or Limerick or both?

JCor, I agree with you that Limerick has a lot to offer and I will regularly extol the virtues of the city however for a 5 day trip to Ireland I personally think there are more "wow" things to see, particularly if this may be the only trip the OP may make to Ireland.

In addition to The Hunt and St. Mary's and King John's there is also the very interesting Rugby Museum in Thomond Park and of course the National Self Portrait and National Watercolour galleries in UL as well as the Living Bridge.

And to clarify, I've visited The Hunt and King John's and The Living Bridge over the last three months (and taken "out of town people" to one of them!!) and hope to get to see the current photography exhibition in the Hunt before the end of this month.

But for me, Galway is a gateway and Connemara is fabulous. Its wild and untamed and spectacularly beautiful. And on a breezy day - out of the tourist season - walking along the prom in Salthill is pure heaven.

Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trip - Ennis or Limerick or both?

There are more "wow" things to see on a 5 day trip to Ireland, they just don't happen to be in Galway, Ennis or Limerick. Limerick is as much a gateway as Galway. Connemara is indeed fabulous as is West Limerick / North Kerry / West Clare.

Galway has become famous for being famous, a box to tick off in travelling. Very few vistors experience Galway other than through tourist bars and stage Oirish music. Cities like Limerick, Waterford, Cork aren't the darlings of the tourist boards or the media and are better for it.

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Trip - Ennis or Limerick or both?

Thanks to everyone who responded! I'll check out some of your new suggestions. And I will have a day in Dublin and plan to do the bus tour. My husband did it a few years ago and really enjoyed it. Thanks again!

8. Re: Day Trip - Ennis or Limerick or both?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2013, 10:17