We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ennis on a Wed night in October

Belfast
Level Contributor
488 posts
163 reviews
Save Topic
Ennis on a Wed night in October

Hi

Taking my 79 year old mum for a little break, taking in Ennis.A place I have always wanted to visit. We are staying in and eating in the Old Ground but I will need a couple of beers in an authentic bar before dinner. Any pub ideas?

Thanks

Mick

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,247 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ennis on a Wed night in October

I am not sure exactly what you mean by "authentic", but if you mean it as understated and not modern, you might try Fawl's right across the road from the Old Ground. The front part of the bar has a real local feel to it.

The Poet's Corner bar in the Old Ground hotel is a very nice bar too and is frequented by locals as well as visitors.

If your mother is able to walk a little bit, Moroney's in the Market area is about a 5/10 minute walk from the Old Ground.

www.moroneysbar.com

Belfast
Level Contributor
488 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ennis on a Wed night in October

Thanks Bannergirl

I think we have talked before on Tripadvisor. Finally getting to see Ennis. I will try the three bars you mention before I meet up again with my Mum for dinner at the hotel. She is a pioneer so I will be free for a look at the pubs you mention. Imcidentally, took my family to Krakow in July. If you have not been, you must. Thanks for advice.

Cheers

Mick

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,101 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ennis on a Wed night in October

We were driving back from doolin last Tuesday and drove thru Ennis looking for dinner. We came across Knox pub......... It's our son Delano's middle name. So of course had to eat there. I had a chicken dish of cream mushrooms and a pastry. It has a name which I can't think of and Greg had a delish burger. The place was quite nice. I think they have music too. It was on the Main Street.........near a beautiful church.

Have fun!!

Sandi

Belfast
Level Contributor
488 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ennis on a Wed night in October

Thanks Sandi.

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,247 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ennis on a Wed night in October

Hi Mick, I was thinking we had spoken before alright.

Now if your mom isn't going to be with you for the beers, you could go a little further down the town.

The Old Ground is in a great location so most places are only a 5 minute walk from the hotel.

Maybe forget about Fawl's and head down to the Diamond, which is on the same street as your hotel. It was renovated last year and they did a really nice job at keeping the atmosphere.

You could call in to Moroney's or Quinn's after that.

Let me know if you need any other help. Enjoy and hope your mom has a good trip too.

Belfast
Level Contributor
488 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ennis on a Wed night in October

Cheers Bannergirl.

I will do that. As I said it is always been a place I have wanted to visit. This trip will be a taster.

mick

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ennis on a Wed night in October

Hi Mick,

I too am from Belfast but living in Ennis since 1998. I love it. Re pubs suggested earlier one can go in the front door of the Diamond out the back to the car park, enter Paddy Quinns (back entrance) out the front door turn right and into Moorneys. All three pubs are in same location, minutes from the Old Ground. If your evening meal is not included in your booking you won't go pass a meal in the public bar of the hotel. If your into Trad music and are free later in the evening check out local sessions. No place is too far in Ennis from the Hotel. Enjoy your trip, your Mum will love the Old Ground. Olde world hospitality. Check out the mens toilets in their next door Town Hall restaurant. They were originally a holding cell for prisoners awaiting transportation to Australia etc. If you haven't been yet contact me for more info.

Belfast
Level Contributor
488 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ennis on a Wed night in October

Thanks Paul. Plenty of choice. This trip will have to be the first of many. Next time I plan to stay a few nights with my family. I will try out as many bars as I can though.

Mick

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,601 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ennis on a Wed night in October

Brogans always get a vote from me opposite end of the road from the Old Ground.

Belfast
Level Contributor
488 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ennis on a Wed night in October

1 will be plastered at this rate!

Get answers to your questions about Ennis
Recent Conversations