We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming places on Beara penninsula?

NY, NY
Level Contributor
378 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Swimming places on Beara penninsula?

Hello, I am a migrant from the Connemara forums.

I am considering letting a house for a week in late August to stay with my children ages 13, 11 and 8. I spent a lot of time sifting through cottages in Connemara and finally realized I was looking for something completely different.

I am considering letting a cottage near Lauragh and am wondering if there are any places on the penninsula where my children could swim. I noticed there are no official beaches on Beara as there are on the ring of Kerry. I have read it is possible to swim in Glanmere Lake and also a blue pool near Glengarriff.

I have read about the penninsula and it sounds quite beautiful and I think it would make an excellent base for our stay, but I am not sure. The other places I am considering are Valentia Island and near Glenbeigh, both of which also have cottages available.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you!

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
8,099 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Swimming places on Beara penninsula?

Bump!

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
3,212 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swimming places on Beara penninsula?

The only significant beach on Beara is at Ballydonegan Bay near Allihies. It doesn't have a lifeguard and has quite rough seas, so it's not the best for swimming. Someone else might be able to answer about other possible bathing places.

Glenbeigh has a lovely beach nearby.

NY, NY
Level Contributor
378 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swimming places on Beara penninsula?

Thank you! We are renting a house very close to Glanmore Lake and the advert for the house said swimming was possible. I hope that is true!

Beara
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Swimming places on Beara penninsula?

Beara has 2 natural grey sand beach side by side in Garnish, on route to Dursey Island, both beaches are well maintained, (no life guard) one has toilets, it is a very safe for swiming, the sand is great for shaping and building, there are rock pools for exploring and the view from it is stunning.

Allihies village 10 min drive away has a lot to offer.

Also, there are many small strands suitable for swimming located around the peninsula, just ask locally for info.

If you do decide to come to Beara, you will not regret it.

NY, NY
Level Contributor
378 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swimming places on Beara penninsula?

I am coming! We have rented a house for the last week of August.

We can't wait!

NY, NY
Level Contributor
378 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swimming places on Beara penninsula?

Hi there--we just returned and I am posting this for the record for future reference. The nicest place we found to swim was in Glengarriff near where the ferries depart for Garnish island. The town has constructed a new swimming dock and there is even a small wooden hut for changing. They have built new steps into the water, but we went at low tide and it was still a bit treacherous. I did not swim but my husband and two of three children did and reported it to be very fun but cold, although it did not bother the daughter who is part seal.

We also swam in Glanmore Lake, which is the lake you see when going through teh Healy pass. Also reported to be very cold and a bit unpleasant as the bottom was mucky and weedy.

Edited: 04 September 2013, 03:09
7. Re: Swimming places on Beara penninsula?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about County Cork
Recent Conversations