We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blarney Castle VS Barryscourt Castle

8 posts
Save Topic
Blarney Castle VS Barryscourt Castle

I read in a Lonely Planet book that they recommend skipping Blarney Castle and seeing Barryscourt Castle instead. Some other stuff I have read makes Blarney sound like a tourist trap as well. Wondering what people's opinons are of the two. I only have time to see one so trying to decide which one to see. Thanks!

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,571 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Blarney Castle VS Barryscourt Castle

I vote with Blarney Castle, as well as the castle there are beautiful grounds surrounding it which Barryscourt doesn't have.

Also, not sure if Sovenirs are on your list, but one of the better Souvenir shops in the country is just a 5 minute walk from the gates of Blarney castle. The shop is called Blarney Woolen Mills. Barryscourt has nothing like this.

Regards 'touristy', both attract tourists but Blarney would be busier. You can avoid the bulk of tourists by getting to Blarney right at opening time.

www.blarneycastle.ie/pages/opening-times

Enjoy - whichever one you choose

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,601 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Blarney Castle VS Barryscourt Castle

Ah the gentle scent of a RS Guide burning on an open fire,, sweet as turf but far less useful.

Yes Blarney castle is a bit tour bus central 10.30-16.00 but the grounds are well worth a look, Possibly the best castle grounds you will find, No one will force you to join the queues to climb the steep narrow uneven stairway and snog the rock.

3. Re: Blarney Castle VS Barryscourt Castle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2014, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about County Cork
Recent Conversations