We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where can we take our young child trick or treating?

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
101 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where can we take our young child trick or treating?

We will be 20-30 minutes outside of Cork in a rural cottage, making many day trips in the area. We are bringing a Halloween costume and wonder where we can trick or treat? Are there better neighborhoods for this? Are there any activities in Cork or Kinsale for small kids? Thank you!

cork
Level Contributor
215 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where can we take our young child trick or treating?

where outside of cork are you sharon?? any estate near you is probably your best bet. depending on where you are you might be able to get a better reply from people

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Where can we take our young child trick or treating?

What does estate mean? Neighborhood? The place we are staying apparently does not do trick or treat at all, because it is rural. Nothing is nearby and the nearest bigger town is Kinsale. It is southwest of Cork city.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,568 posts
367 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where can we take our young child trick or treating?

An estate in this country is typically a group of houses - usually built in fairly large quantities by the same developer.

Estates are perfect for trick or treaters as you can easily and quickly navigate from one house to the next, thus maximising your goody collection. I should know, I live in one. Halloween is a busy night for us.

I am not sure what is done in rural areas with few houses in the vicinity during Halloween. Possibly close neighbours visit each others houses for small personal parties.

Kinsale town is a very nice one, but would not be great for trick or treating, however, there may be events going on there on the night in question. I do know Kinsale already has a very good 'Ghost walk', so this may be expanded upon for kids during Halloween. I'll find out for you and get back.

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
8,033 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where can we take our young child trick or treating?

An estate or housing estate in Ireland is what you would call a sub division in the US, Sharon.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,568 posts
367 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where can we take our young child trick or treating?

Depending on the age of the child you could dress up and take him/her on this

http://kinsale.ie/ghost-tour/

Contact info on that webpage

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
8,447 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where can we take our young child trick or treating?

Honestly Sharon I would give it a miss if I were you, your little one is only 2 so she's unlikely to miss it too much. In our area we are inundated with trick or treaters but people don't really like to see random strangers from another area just arriving in and going around. The exception of course are friends and family in the company of local children. People tend to stick to their own areas in general and as already mentioned in your other post on the subject, they don't call to houses that don't have any Halloween decorations up.

Check out the local library near where you are staying and see if they have some age appropriate arts and crafts or storytelling on for Halloween.

corkcoco.ie/co/…Kinsale

Edited: 17 September 2013, 23:52
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Where can we take our young child trick or treating?

Thank you. She will be almost 3 by then and has strong memories of last year's trick or treating. Which meant about three neighbors houses. We do not care about the treats, just making the memory for her since she is missing it at home this yr.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where can we take our young child trick or treating?

I'm with dubfam on this, a few local children are welcome (with or without Mum), but not everyone goes along with it. Ideally you should know the neighbourhood and who you are visitng.

Tonbridge, United...
Level Contributor
832 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where can we take our young child trick or treating?

Trick or treating is an American import this side of the Atlantic. Many people regard it as a nuisance.

There are several European festivals around this time including Bonfire Night on November 5th (I would be interested to know if the Irish celebrate this), Toussaint in France (All Saints Day elsewhere)... and some local ones like Mischief Night in Yorkshire on November 4th

My sister's village takes an organised approach and hands out a picture of a pumpkin to every household. If you are willing to be visited then you put the picture in your window. Houses without pictures are not visited.

Edited: 18 September 2013, 07:03
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Where can we take our young child trick or treating?

Thank you everybody. It all makes sense and sounds pretty similar to here. We also frown upon outsiders driving to the neighborhood and parking their cars to walk around. Of course, you never really know which kids are locals due to the costumes and being unable to recognize people. We will just wear her costume during the day and hopefully find an activity or two. We will skip trick or treating.

Get answers to your questions about County Cork
Recent Conversations