We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay in Cork, Kinsale or Blarney?

NW Indiana (near...
Level Contributor
217 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Stay in Cork, Kinsale or Blarney?

Hi, this is my first post here! My wife and I with some friends are taking a vacation to Ireland this November (2006). She and I have been to Ireland but not to the Cork region. Our itinerary is giving us one night in one of these places but I'm open for suggestions.

We are looking for a town that we can check into a B&B, walk to a good pub and enjoy some great food and music... and then walk back! Any suggestions on where to stay and have fun? I know it's like asking for the perfect fairy tale but I thought i'd throw it out there!

Thanks for your suggestions!

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
267 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stay in Cork, Kinsale or Blarney?

you want Kinsale. Good food and bars and should be good music. Im sorry but I dont know any B&Bs there.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stay in Cork, Kinsale or Blarney?

Don't bother staying in Blarney, either Cork or Kinsale will give you what you are looking for. Kinsale is more expensive than Cork as it is very touristy but it does have the whole traditional image of Ireland thing going for it. You might want to check though how much will be open in November. It's very geared for tourist season so a lot of restaurants and B&Bs close down in winter. It is a very pretty village though. In Cork City everything is open all year and there are plenty of budget concious choices for accommodation, eating and drinking. There are lots of B&Bs on Wellington Road and York Hill in the city center plus hostels on Wellington Road and MacCurtain st. If it is trad music you are looking for there are quite a few bars that will have sessiun's on. The link below is the local entertainment listing magazine and will list everything going on for the month.

http://www.whazon.com/cork/miscellaneous.php

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stay in Cork, Kinsale or Blarney?

My vote goes to Kinsale.

Links to accom on the site :

http://www.cork-guide.ie/kinsale.htm

NW Indiana (near...
Level Contributor
217 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stay in Cork, Kinsale or Blarney?

i have been leaning towards Kinsale. i read some interesting sections in travel books that speak very highly of Kinsale. i did a search for Kinsale B&Bs and came up with one that is close to the downtown area.

http://www.woodlandskinsale.com/

It looks promising. Our group is going to be very into the whole pub scene and trad music. I just don't want to have to worry about driving anywhere in the evening so being close to town is important.

Thanks for the advice. Now, it's off to the itinerary for my next set of questions!

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stay in Cork, Kinsale or Blarney?

''going to be very into the whole pub scene and trad music''

You're going to have a ball in Ireland : )

Enjoy Kinsale!

Cork
Level Contributor
768 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stay in Cork, Kinsale or Blarney?

Woodlands is fairly close to the town centre. You'd walk down the hill into town in less than 10 minutes. November will be fairly quiet here but you'll still get stuff going on. There's a traditional music session every Wednesday night in The Spaniard pub all year round (that would be about a 20 minutes walk from Woodlands). The Bulman (that would require a taxi) did trad music on Thursday nights last winter, from memory. (They have a restaurant there as well if you wanted to make a whole night of it). Otherwise, at that time of year, most music would only be on at weekends. As for restaurants closing for the winter, there are only a few that do that now - most are open all year round but maybe close for a day or two early in the week.

NW Indiana (near...
Level Contributor
217 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stay in Cork, Kinsale or Blarney?

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! I think Kinsale will win this vote! I found a B&B not far from town and was wondering if anyone had any comments about it...

Woodlands House - Kinsale

Any thoughts?

NW Indiana (near...
Level Contributor
217 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stay in Cork, Kinsale or Blarney?

Marie, sorry, didn't see the Woodlands House in your post! Oops!

USA
Level Contributor
173 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stay in Cork, Kinsale or Blarney?

Kinsale for sure.....try the Desmond House B&B. AND, by the way..great restaurant for dinner there is Jim Edwards. Have fun.

10. Re: Stay in Cork, Kinsale or Blarney?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2009, 17:17
Get answers to your questions about County Cork
Recent Conversations