We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we go here or is it ok to miss it

Which Blarney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
nelson
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Should we go here or is it ok to miss it

I hate to miss out on things but I am wondering if this is a must do. We will be staying in Kilkenny for two nights. Is Waterfrod city and Wexford worth a look .I don't want to offend anyone but time is limited.Ta

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,291 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we go here or is it ok to miss it

Hi, you won't be able to do everything in a limited period of time.

I think it would be quite safe to concentrate on other areas ;o) You already have a very full agenda.

Ireland will be still here next year and the year after and the year after that again.....

nelson
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we go here or is it ok to miss it

Thanks for that. It's so hard to make the hard choices and get the best out of your time. My mum's full of blarney anyway (she's 85 and wants to visit Roundwood where her mum lived).

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,291 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should we go here or is it ok to miss it

Oh take your Mum back to Roundwood. I'm sure that will be far more exciting for her!! And as a compromise, go shopping in a Blarney Woollen Mills shop (its kind-of Blarney :o))

Do you know that the 1911 Census is on line? And that the 1901 one will be on-line in a very short time as well (either later this year or early next year) www.census.nationalarchives.ie

This might be a bit of fun to research before your visit as well.

When are you visiting?

nelson
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should we go here or is it ok to miss it

We are going next year in July. We are spending 2 nights in Roundwood so she can meet her long lost relies.Her ancestors were the Plunkets who owned Trim castle for a few hundred years. Makes little old New Zealand seem very young(which we are of course). What is your advice on Wexford and Waterford? Should we just stay in Kilkenny for the day? From there I thought we'd go through Cashel and maybe Tipperary .From there I don't know whether to go down to Cork and through to Killarney for 4 nights. Is Cork a must see as well or just bomb through the middle?From Killarney I might take a trip up to Moher and back down to Bunratty castle. From Killarney we will go up to Trim for the night and lastly 2 nights in Dublin. What do you honestly think!!! Yes I know it's alot for mum but she can have some rest days if she likes while I go off on my ownsome.This is so helpful.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should we go here or is it ok to miss it

This is just my opinion, but, here goes anyway.

Nowhere is a 'must see', the charm of Ireland is the relaxed pace and the incomparable people, dont dash about all over or you will miss it. Dont ask us what to see, ask your mum what she wants to do, there's nothing wrong with a week in Roundwood, meeting the locals and feeling a part of something.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,383 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should we go here or is it ok to miss it

"Is Cork a must see as well or just bomb through the middle?"

Ahem, Cork happens to be the largest county in Ireland so there'll be no 'bombing' through the middle of that one missus ;-))

Cork City requires two full days and two full nights to get some kind of appreciation of the city, so if you don't have that time to spare then you should skip it this time.

Cork County (very beautiful) requires at least one full week to do it any justice, and you don't have that time.

It looks like you may not get to see Blarney Castle this time which is a pity as it is a genuine castle on lovely grounds and the private owners have done a lot to preserve the castle without taking too much away from it's character. I like it, my only issue really is the entrance fee which at €13.50 is quite expensive.

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should we go here or is it ok to miss it

You could spend a week in counties Waterford and Wexford, no problem. If you only have one full day though, stay in Kilkenny and take your time looking round, there is easily a day (and more) looking round the city. And then there is a craft trail of interesting villages in the County. Then head over to Cashel.

If you just drive down to Waterford all you will see is the road and a quick look at the city. The city is not really a tourist city, though it is interesting, but the county has coastline and mountains and some lovely villages, but like Cork, as Bryno says, there is no point unless you can spend some time.

8. Re: Should we go here or is it ok to miss it

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2010, 05:22