We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I will be traveling to Ireland March 1-10 advice needed

Grove City
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
I will be traveling to Ireland March 1-10 advice needed

Hi, I will be spending what amounts to 8 days in Ireland in March. We are trying to figure out what we can reasonably fit into that time. Also we were thinking of making Dublin our hub, or at least for most of the trip due to the ability to redeem hotel points for free rooms...is this crazy? On day 3 we have a tour planned which is a train to I believe Galway City and then a flight to the Aran Islands. Other than this I don't have any solid plans laid out and I want to make the most of my trip. On the first day we arrive at 9:00 a.m. and we figure we will explore Dublin, fit a nap in somewhere and check out some more of the city after that. On day two we are thinking we explore either more of Dublin or maybe the wicklow mountains. Here are some of the things I would really like to see, but realize I probably have to cut a few, so hoping someone who has been there can help direct me on which one's make sense to cut. Cliffs of Moher, Giants Causeway, Ring of Kerry, Waterford, Connemara National Park etc. If we were to say drive one day down to cork, seeing some sights along the way, and stay the night there, could we see the Ring of Kerry, and Cliffs of Moher in the same day? Is this way to aggressive of a plan?

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
18,926 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I will be traveling to Ireland March 1-10 advice needed

Having a single base half way up the East coast makes no logistical sense when what you want to see is scattered all around the Island. The trip to Galway by train then 20 miles to the Aer Aranisles base is itself a bit ?? There is no way you can do the ring of Kerry and the Cliffs of Moher in one day let alone including travelling from and too Dublin the same day.

Have a sit down with a map and a coffee. decide what you must see/do and consider 3 bases, Dublin, Galway. Killarney. Consider flying open jaw Dublin Shannon,

You will get lots of help on the forums but unfortunately none of us have magic wands, not that work anyway.

Grove City
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: I will be traveling to Ireland March 1-10 advice needed

Sounds good, our flights are already booked so the open jaw isn't an option, should definitely found this site first before securing the flights but I do see that I can't keep Dublin as the base the whole week so I will start searching for other places to stay while we are there. For the trip to Galway, it was a purchased tour and it includes the train to Galway and flight to Aran Islands, I cannot remember the departure and arrival times but hopefully it's not too much because it was pricey.

I really appreciate the advice. Any idea on a good site to research places to stay in these area's?

NH
Level Contributor
107 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I will be traveling to Ireland March 1-10 advice needed

I've never seen the term open jaw...I take it means flying into one airport and out of another? Isn't it more expensive to do that? Thanks!

Canada
Level Contributor
5,110 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I will be traveling to Ireland March 1-10 advice needed

Open jaw- depends on the airline whether there is a price diff or not. Air Transat- no difference.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
18,926 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I will be traveling to Ireland March 1-10 advice needed

Lois B ... you are on the right site for any advice you need..

NHw****... Open Jaw is a term I picked on a forum that mainly aids US visitors and seems a common option, It can cost more but the general consensus is that it worth while to pay up to an extra $50 ish for the benefits which can be gained.

Grove City
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: I will be traveling to Ireland March 1-10 advice needed

Any changes I make to my airfare now will result in fees they informed me so I will need to keep the flight in and out of Dublin, but we are now looking at other options on where to stay as we tour the countryside rather than try to keep Dublin as a hub.

Green Bay WI
Level Contributor
129 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I will be traveling to Ireland March 1-10 advice needed

Check for places to stay on the trip advisor site. Users are very honest in giving opinions and ratings. We liked the B&B more than hotels. More friendly people.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,296 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I will be traveling to Ireland March 1-10 advice needed

Ring of Kerry and Cliffs of Moher from Cork is impossible in one day

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,308 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I will be traveling to Ireland March 1-10 advice needed

If looking for an Open Jaw option on an airlines website, use the Multi City tool

Grove City
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: I will be traveling to Ireland March 1-10 advice needed

Thank you, we are now looking to change our accommodations, we cannot do open jaw as our airline, car and tour were booked as a vacation package with Delta. Thanks so much for the info and advice bc it really helped prevent us from making a big mistake and booking all nights in Dublin.