We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tours and Day Trips

Sheffield, UK
Level Contributor
99 posts
4 reviews
Tours and Day Trips

Hello,

I'm after some suggestions if possible please?

I'm visiting Cork for 3.5 days at the end of September and trying to start planning my trip.

I've already got a day in Cobh pencilled in and want to spend at least half a day looking round Cork itself.

I'm just having a look at organised tours (I don't drive) and wondered where the best places are to visit. Basically, the choices seem to be:

Blarney Castle

Kilkenny

Cliffs of Moher

Dingle Peninsula

Kinsale

Ring of Kerry

Rock of Cashel

I believe I could probably easily do Kinsale and Blarney Castle by public transport?

I wonder what people would recommend in terms of day trips?

. I like old things and nature. I'm not fussed about food or whisky.

Thanks in advance

Rob

16 replies to this topic
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
4,091 posts
70 reviews
1. Re: Tours and Day Trips

Personally I think Dingle and the Ring of Kerry are too far for a day trip. Too much time lost to traveling.

However, Killarney is perfectly doable. It’s about 75 mins away by train or 90 mins by bus and using an early morning departure from Cork, you can get up to 12 hours there. You still have to figure out how to get around when there, but there are options by bus, bike, boat or on foot.

If you are active, get a bus to Dungarvan and hire a bike to cycle the Waterford Greenway. It’s very scenic and you could get to see a bit of Waterford with the right timings.

If you don’t get to Spike Island in Cobh or Charles Fort in Kinsale, you could look at Camden Fort in Crosshaven. It has pretty limited opening hours, but it’s staffed by very enthusiastic volunteers, so it’s a bit less dry than the other two. The cafe also has a wonderful spot for watching boats coming and going from Cork Harbour. It’s at the end of one of the city bus routes, which means regular services and relatively cheap fares.

Sheffield, UK
Level Contributor
99 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Tours and Day Trips

Thanks Blackgreen

Sheffield, UK
Level Contributor
99 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Tours and Day Trips

Hello,

I'm trying to work out what to do on a Sunday (a week on Sunday actually) on my forthcoming trip.

I've got a day in Cork on Friday and a day in Cobh on Saturday.

I don't really fancy a long day trip on the Sunday, but trying to figure out where to go.

Blarney: I'm not bothered about kissing the Blarney Stone, but the gardens look nice. Was considering getting there early and then spending the afternoon in Cork.

Kinsale: I'm doing Spike Island on Saturday so not sure if up for doing another fort. Not sure if there's much else to do?

Youghal: Is it worth the trip? It's a bit further afield.

Fota: Wildlife Park is a fair draw but as an adult going on my own not sure how much time I'd want to spend there. The house looks quite nice as well

I'll be using public transport and walking when I arrive. Any suggestions are welcome. I'm guessing all these places get busy on a Sunday?

Any help would be gratefully received.

Sheffield, UK
Level Contributor
99 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Tours and Day Trips

Or even Cashel, even if it is a 100 minute trip each way.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
33 posts
5. Re: Tours and Day Trips

Regarding Youghal - not really. Not a whole lot going on down there. Kinsale is great if you just want to wander around, eat really well and have a few drinks. It's also not too far from the city and you won't be spending your day on a bus. I'd consider Fota but only if the weather is good, if the weather is crap most of the animals will be taking shelter etc so there's far less to see.

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,695 posts
1 review
6. Re: Tours and Day Trips

Cahir and Cashel are easily do-able by bus up the M8 motorway, well worth seeing.

Edited: 20 September 2018, 10:30
County Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for County Cork
Level Contributor
2,965 posts
133 reviews
7. Re: Tours and Day Trips

If you want something light and easy for a Sunday, I’d go with a potter about Kinsale. If you really want to make the most of your day then do the Ardmore cliff walk or a day trip to Dungarvan. Both in County Waterford.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
4,091 posts
70 reviews
8. Re: Tours and Day Trips

I think the easiest thing to do with Fota is to break your train journey to/from Cobh there an go for a walk around the grounds of Fota House for an hour and hop on the next train. The Wildlife Park sets a high standard, but I do tend to see it as child oriented.

I'd love to recommend Youghal. It has some lovely, old buildings and a fine beach. It really should be the equal of Kinsale. However, it's not really a nice place to walk around. Too many of the streets are just given over to traffic and parking, and nothing is well sign-posted, so you need a local or guide book to show you.

Sheffield, UK
Level Contributor
99 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: Tours and Day Trips

Thanks everyone.

In terms of the trains, is it ok just to break journeys on the same ticket?

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
4,091 posts
70 reviews
10. Re: Tours and Day Trips

On a paper ticket bought in the ticket office, it is.

For online tickets, no.

For Leap Card fares, you must tag off and tag back on again, but it will still work out cheaper than a paper ticket.

Reply to: Tours and Day Trips
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cork
Recent Conversations