We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train and bus stations in cork

Which Cork hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Delaware, USA
9 posts
Save Topic
train and bus stations in cork

Does anyone know how closely the bus station (Eireann) and train station are located in Cork? Is it walkable with a wheeled suitcase?

Dublin
Level Contributor
792 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train and bus stations in cork

This is one for one of the other TA's who is an expert on Cork - Bryno.

But I think they are walkable, possibly about 300 metres, across a bridge over the river Lee.

The Cork rail station is presently undergoing a lot of development works.

hope that helps.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,388 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: train and bus stations in cork

Dublinlocal is correct. The walk is about 400m (less than 10 mins walk) and whether you can manage the trip on foot with a wheeled suitcase depends on a number of factors.

If you can easily walk for 10 mins with a wheeled suitcase then you will easily manage it. It is a safe walk, but ask for directions as the route is not immediately obvious for visitors.

Do walk if you feel you are up to it, taking a taxi would be a waste of time and money.

Delaware, USA
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: train and bus stations in cork

Thanks so much for the advice! It's so hard to tell when looking at a map. We (and our suitcases) will be ready to roll!!

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,388 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: train and bus stations in cork

Actually, here are the walking directions (might as well, it's not that difficult to describe)

1. Walk out of train station and head for main road, this is obvious as there is only one road passing the station!!

2.Once at the station gate, turn left and walk for about 3 minutes, (as a landmark, you will see St Patricks church across the road to your right)

3.You arrive at a set of traffic lights, do not cross the road here just turn left.

4. Walk for 1 minute, you will now be at a second set of traffic lights, cross the road here and you are now walking on a bridge. You will see the bus station now if you look right, it's only 200 metres away. It is the building with the large white canopy covering the forecourt.

Both the train and bus stations are very small, so don't worry about finding your way around or out of them.

There is quite a good bus travel info office just inside the main door of the bus station. Best to visit it as early as possible as it gets busy.

Delaware, USA
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: train and bus stations in cork

Bryno,

I just saw that you posted directions. Thanks a bunch! You are so kind.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,388 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: train and bus stations in cork

***CORRECTION*** I would have mislead you in my previous directions !!!!

1. Walk out of train station and head for main road, this is obvious as there is only one road passing the station!!

2.Once at the station gate, turn left and walk for about 3 minutes, (as a landmark, you will see St Patricks church across the road to your right)

3.You arrive at a set of traffic lights, DO cross the road here and walk to the next set of traffic lights which will be visible ahead.

4. At this second set of traffic lights, turn left. You will see the bus station now if you look ahead and across the river. It's only 300 metres away. It is the building with the large white canopy covering the forecourt.

Both the train and bus stations are very small, so don't worry about finding your way around or out of them.

There is quite a good bus travel info office just inside the main door of the bus station. Best to visit it as early as possible as it gets busy.

Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,442 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: train and bus stations in cork

Just one small point to add. It was never mentioned which direction you wish to travel and I originally felt you were going from Bus to Train but did not correct this with Bryno's posts. So this is probably irrelevant but the train station is at a noticably higher elevation than the bus one and though the hilly part is only for a short portion it maybe worth mentioning since you took time to mention you luggage will need rolling.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,388 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: train and bus stations in cork

No, it's not that hilly - hardly noticeable, but if you are travelling from Train to Bus, it's a slight downhill, while Bus to train is a slight uphill.

Alabama
Level Contributor
41 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: train and bus stations in cork

If you are coming from the train station to the bus station..there is a bus stop right outside of the train station that will take you to the bus station. That is if you do not want to wheel your luggage.

I say this because this past July we were traveling from Killarney to Blarney and once we walked out of the train station(we did not have Bryno's good directions) we turned right instead of left and kept walking and walking. Turned around went back to the train station and low and behold there was a bus!

On our return we walked back from the bus station on Merchants Quay to the train station.

Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,442 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: train and bus stations in cork

I guess it just me. I recall making the trip many years ago getting the train home for the weekend when in college. I suppose the fact that I was a smoker and had already walked from UCC with me rugsack full of dirty laundry but I remember that hill being my downfall at the end.

Get answers to your questions about Cork