We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fireworks?

Which Cork hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Warrington
2 posts
Save Topic
Fireworks?

Visiting Cork this weekend as a couple, wondering if there will be any fireworks displays Friday or Saturday night? Also looking for somewhere nice to eat Friday night, we generally like modern British bistro style food, thai, but some fine Irish food would be great......Thanks

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Fireworks?

Hallowe'en (last Saturday) was probably your best chance of firework displays. Are you referring to 5th November/Guy Fawkes/Bonfire Night celebrations? If so, this is not celebrated in Ireland.

Fireworks displays are generally less common in Ireland than the UK (it's illegal to buy, sell or operate fireworks here without a special licence)

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for County Galway
Level Contributor
1,983 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fireworks?

Hi LucyWild

Guy Fawkes Night is a UK tradition not an Irish one and, as such, you will not generally see any firework displays put on for the 5th November or it's nearest weekend. It was actually quite difficult to get hold of fireworks in southern Ireland for a long time but, in recent years, you will now see the odd firework display put on for Halloween/Samhain and New Years Eve/Day, sometimes Christmas too...

We'll leave food and dining recommendations to those familiar with Cork as locals and regular visitors - have a great time, it's been too long that we've been to Cork and we are overdue a visit!

:-)

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for County Galway
Level Contributor
1,983 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fireworks?

*snap*

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Fireworks?

Snap back!

Dublin
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Fireworks?

If Guy Falwkes' plot had been successful then we would probably have annual fireworks. Please remember you're visiting a different country.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,398 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fireworks?

The last time I saw the best fireworks ever in Cork city was 31/12/1999, what a night. There's been very little in the way of fireworks since then.

You'll just have to <cough> make your own fireworks.

Loads of nice restaurants, if you want my list email me, but here are my top few medium priced:

Amicus - Paul Street

Club Brasserie- Lapps Quay (just beside Clarion hotel)

The Boardwalk - beside Club Brasserie

Soho - Grand Parade (pub, club and restaurant)

The Market Lane - Lower Oliver Plunkett Street

Luigi Malones - Emmet Place, across street from Opera House.

I would recommend all of them.

Thai is in Maylor street (Banna Thai) but I hate that location so wouldn't bother.

Ruen Thai is right on Patrick street (number 71). Find Waterstones book shop and you are almost there. It's very good and reasonable.

The best thai in Ireland was Bangkok 69, on Bridge street but sadly gone now for a few months and replaced with a mediocre handmade burger bar.

There is a delicious thai restaurant in Douglas village called Nakon Thai, really superb, fabulous staff and quite reasonable only problem is that Douglas village is 3 miles south of cork city.

brynoadvisor@yahoo.ie

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,391 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fireworks?

A rather odd question, as the poster has only made one post you have to suspect that it is an attempt at trolling.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,277 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fireworks?

I agree Gaelflyer.

Best place IMHO for fireworks is pretty much anywhere in France round about the 14th July.

However, for some strange reason, it appears quite difficult to find "modern British bistro or fine Irish food" in this location, lol!!

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,398 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fireworks?

Oh lordy, have I been Trollified? I'd hate that.

Bean, yes, I've done the Bastille day (fireworks night) and it was fantastic. I had never seen anything like it before, but G0d love me I was very innocent.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for County Galway
Level Contributor
1,983 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fireworks?

It's quite a common misconception that Bonfire Night is universally celebrated as many UK folk don't always link it to Guy Fawkes and the Gunpowder Plot anymore but see it as a good night out - we in no way felt that the OP is/was a troll with her question. As a part-UK couple we remember clearly the discovery of this very fact ourselves when one of us was most put out that there were no fireworks to be seen on November 5th in Ireland!

Some celebrations/customs have just become 'traditions' and blur at the edges as to who celebrates them and why (Christmas, Easter, Bonfire Night, Samhain, St Patrick's to name a few that are now celebrated by many people outside of the original 'target audience') and most of these have become International traditions but not all of them - can't think of any that have stayed exclusively Irish but there must be some? Bealtaine is, in other words/worlds, May Day and Lughnasadh is Harvest festival although their rituals and rites remain quite unique to this country even though they are not that wide-spread and remain largely within the world of Musuem display cases now. Actually the Wren Boys still get out and about a bit and they don't appear to be part of non-Irish celebrations anywhere else...or do they?

Get answers to your questions about Cork