We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Kinsale. Go through Caher or drive the coast?

Toronto
Level Contributor
276 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Driving to Kinsale. Go through Caher or drive the coast?

We're driving from Dublin to Kinsale and I am wondering if the route would be better to drive along the coast or to drive through Caher and see what it has to offer. We're looking to be in Kinsale by 5 or 6 at the latest (and we're leaving Dublin at 9am)

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving to Kinsale. Go through Caher or drive the coast?

I haven't driven along the coast (the road doesn't actually hug the coast for much of the route), but I have visited the following places, which I can recommend as interesting stops if you're interested in history:

The Rock of Cashel is one of the most significant heritage sites in Ireland:

heritageireland.ie/en/…

and, if you want to visit a castle, Cahir is a very fine example:

http://www.cahirinfo.ie/tourist.htm

According to aa routeplanner, it's around 285km from Dublin to Kinsale, via Cashel and Cahir, and should take min 4hrs. I'd factor min. 4.5hrs to allow for traffic delays etc. So, you should have plenty time to visit both and catch a bite to eat.

:-)

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving to Kinsale. Go through Caher or drive the coast?

If you mean by 'driving along the coast' the east and south coasts, you would not do that in a day, and as SarniaGirl says, the main roads do not really take you round the coast. You would have to get onto minor roads, and Dublin to Kinsale would take a couple of days at least. There is not really a lot of point.

Yes, go via Cashel, and Cahir too is worth visiting.

Toronto
Level Contributor
276 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving to Kinsale. Go through Caher or drive the coast?

Thanks very much

4. Re: Driving to Kinsale. Go through Caher or drive the coast?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2010, 06:21
Get answers to your questions about Cork
Recent Conversations