We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trip cork city to Kinsale/Cobh

Ocean Shores...
Level Contributor
321 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
day trip cork city to Kinsale/Cobh

Looking for a guided day trip by bus from Cork city to Kinsale and/or Cobh area around the first week of April. D.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
12,004 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: day trip cork city to Kinsale/Cobh

I visited Cobh on a day trip from Cork last October. There is no need for a guided day trip by bus, you can catch the train which is extremely easy. Have a look at my trip report for further information (scroll down to Thursday 7/10/10 if you don’t want to read all of the report).

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186600-i677-k39…

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,568 posts
367 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: day trip cork city to Kinsale/Cobh

I agree, you don't need a guided trip to Cobh at all as Welsh said. Train is the only public transport option from Cork city to Cobh and only takes 25 mins (About €6 return).

The heritage centre is right at the train station and there is a very interesting walk through the small town up to St Colmans cathedral on the hill - a must see when you are in Cobh. The harbour views from there are superb.

If you do want some history of the town why not book a titanic trail walking tour. www.titanic-trail.com

It would not be practical to complete a visit to both Cobh and Kinsale on the same day by public transport as both are in opposite directions and it would mean a fairly rushed trip to both.

If you want to get to Kinsale however, you can do so by bus, a journey time of 50mins each way, and Kinsale too is an interesting town to visit, though I normally recommend that you have a car when you visit there so that you can also fit in both Charlesfort and Jamesfort when you are there, not to mention a 6 mile drive to Old head of Kinsale and Garrettstown beach.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,586 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: day trip cork city to Kinsale/Cobh

Bring good walking shoes to Cobh, definitely avoid wearing heals at all costs! The hills are practically vertical! I nearly died running up to the Cathedral to make it in time for a confirmation!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
66 posts
407 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: day trip cork city to Kinsale/Cobh

Not much in Cobh but Kinsale is one of my favourite places in the world. No guided tour available though. About 25 minutes form Cork. There is a bus from the city centre.

Try Fishy Fishy, for a dinner at lunchtime, or the Blue Haven cafe for lunch if it soup and sandwiches you are looking for.

You should really do the scilly walk. It's out of Kinsale, along the water, and you can make it a circle which means you end up back in Kinsale. When you end the part by the water and end up at the main road it is left back to Kinsale but if you have time go right. 5 minutes down this road is a pub called the Bullman. It is so lovely, out by the water, and the food is really good. Not open until 4pm on Mondays. The walk takes about 50 minutes.

5. Re: day trip cork city to Kinsale/Cobh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 10:19
Get answers to your questions about Cork
Recent Conversations