We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Cork - what to do?

Which Cork hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester
Level Contributor
62 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Cork - what to do?

I'm thinking of booking a day trip to Cork City, landing at the airport at 11.15, taking off again at 19.40. Is this enough time for a worthwhile trip, bearing in mind we need to get in and out of the city and be back at the arirport for, say, 18.30?

If so, where should we go in the city? Where would you suggest if it's wet weather / dry weather? And where should we eat & drink - preferably somewhere atmospheric with good value food - a nice pub perhaps? Are there any nice areas to stroll around or window-shop? All tips wekcome!

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,388 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Cork - what to do?

11:30 Taxi to Cork city - 5 miles away, about €12

11:45 - Start off with Hoho bus tour of the city. There are two, the city and the outer limits which includes Blackrock Castle observatory and there is a very nice restaurant there that do great lunches. However the city tour is more interesting, so you will have to decide on which you prefer. If you do want to go on the HOHO, ask the taxi driver to take you to the HOHO stop on the Grand Parade (just across road from Tourist Office)

There are numerous pubs in the city that you can eat at. It depends on what you want to eat and whether you want trad pub or more contemporary. Let me know.

Cork is renowned for it's shopping at both the usual High street shops and many family owned themed shops. There is a shopping circuit that you can walk easily in one hour. Begin at the Grand parade and walk from there to Patrick street (our main street) from there right around to the bus office and back up to Grand parade via Oliver Plunkett Street. Many side streets to browse along there.

You must visit the English Market which can be entered from Grand Parade, Patrick street, Cook Street and oliver plunkett street (so no escaping it really). This is the largest covered food market in the country. Great atmosphere there, very nice cafe on the first floor called Farmgate - great chowder there and other goodies of course. You might like to go there for morning coffee, if you are not already on the HOHO bus.

Hopefully it will be dry weather because Cork city is not a place to be on a wet day, unless of course you sneak into the uber trad Long Valley pub on Winthrop street, perhaps snuggle into the snug and - well Irish Coffee your way to dryness !!!

There is an indoor shopping centre called Merchants quay which is accessible from Patrick street and is quite good. It's the ugly red bricked building overlooking Patricks bridge and the river Lee. Cork is very well served with shopping centres but unfortunately for you, most of them are out in the 'burbs' !!! The biggest being Mahon Point which is about 3 miles from Cork city and accessible by taxi or by the number 10 bus from South mall, however try and avoid here as there is plenty of shopping in Cork city.

Manchester
Level Contributor
62 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Cork - what to do?

Thank you for taking the time to write such a fabulous reply. So you think I have enough time to make it a worthwhile trip then? You haven't mentioned any cultural sights or other places of interest - are there any worth visiting in the city? Oh and how long does the city HOHO tour take and how much is it? I presume it means Hop On Hop Off and they are quite regular on weekdays (I'm thinking of a Weds or Thurs)? In terms of pubs, I'm more of a traditional kind of girl....

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
11,141 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Cork - what to do?

May be interested in my Cork trip report which will hopefully give you lots of ideas :-

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186600-i677-k39…

Enjoy!

Uk
Level Contributor
347 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Cork - what to do?

The City of Cork can easily be explored in half a day. However, don't forget that Cobh, Blarney and Kinsale are all worth visiting, as well as Killarney further afield.

I doubt Bryno's idea will work if you land at 11:15. While Cork is a small airport and the border control is limited, a city tour departing at 11:45 in Cork isn't realistic. From my experience flights between the UK and Ireland aren't as punctual as those between the UK and mainland Europe.

5. Re: Day trip to Cork - what to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 17:18
Get answers to your questions about Cork