We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Somewhere to stay in Cork/Kerry area?

W.Sussex
Level Contributor
30 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Somewhere to stay in Cork/Kerry area?

Hi, we will be spending a week in Ventry next summer and are looking for ideas where we could spend a second week.

The main things we are looking for are decent pubs and restaurants within walking distance, scenery and walks, plus maybe some local attractions.

At the moment Kenmare and Kinsale are our top possibilities. However we have never been to the area before so are very interested in any recommendations that people might have.

Thanks

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
3,129 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Somewhere to stay in Cork/Kerry area?

To an extent Kenmare will be giving you access to some of the same areas as Ventry unless you are staying very local to your accommodation.

A week seems like a bit of overkill in the Kinsale area unless you're travelling up to see some of the attractions around Cork City and Cork Harbour too.

Other reasonable possibilities are Baltimore and Schull. They beat Kinsale on scenery, although don't have quite as many facilities.

2. Re: Somewhere to stay in Cork/Kerry area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2012, 12:09
Dublin
Level Contributor
299 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Somewhere to stay in Cork/Kerry area?

I think I agree with blackgreen on the Kinsale recommendation. The town itself is lovely and is known as the "food capital of Ireland" so I'd be surprised if you have a bad meal there! In fact the seafood restaurant Fishy Fishy there is somewhat world renowned, it even has a brilliant chip shop attached to it! Kinsale has a great range of lively pubs and relaxed ones, depending on your mood. I'd recommend taking a trip out to Charles Fort as well, really interesting, quite well preserved, lovely walk out and has some brilliant views of Kinsale Harbour and the coast. There are also some cool walking tours you can do, history/heritage as well as a ghost tour! There are some really nice beaches nearby too which would be great for walks, Inchydoney near Clonakilty and Rosscarbery Bay a little further down are both fantastic.

Going for some trips out are definitely a recommendation, Cork city is incredibly close where you can do some great pub walks, visit the Beamish Brewery (the local stout which some would argue is better than Guinness), see the Cork City Gaol or grab a bite to eat in the English Market. And of course, there's the Blarney Castle just north of Cork. Nearby is also the town of Cobh which a lovely place itself and if you're interested in cathedrals, St. Colman's there is astounding! There's also the Queenstown Story which tells the history of the Titanic and famine ships leaving Ireland.

If you're going to be driving definitely take a journey over to the Beara Peninsula, it's absolutely gorgeous and is less well known so you won't have to compete with that many other people. If you like gardens there's a fantastic one called Garinish Island and, like the name suggests, it's on an island and you can get to it from Glengarriff which is on the Beara Peninsula.

Again since you're staying in Ventry for a week I'm sure you'll manage to see quite a bit of Kerry while you're there so staying in Kenmare I think you'd bump into the same spots again. Although it is a lovely town!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Somewhere to stay in Cork/Kerry area?

Kinsale might prove very expensive. For me, it's a place for a day visit max (and I'm from Cork.)What about East Cork?Plenty to see and do and will also open up Waterford as a posssibilty for sight seeing and walking etc.

5. Re: Somewhere to stay in Cork/Kerry area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 07:16