We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Urgent - help needed where to go around Cork

D F
Europe
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Urgent - help needed where to go around Cork

Hi all,

I'm in Cork with my wife and kids an need advise on where to go as I am going to pass on the Jameson tour i have planned for today. I read it is overpriced and not worth it.

I plan on going to the Fota animal park later but need advice on things to do for a few hours.

Was thinking about going to Kinsale for a town walk or maybe Cobo. My kids are aged 2 and 5.

Blarney castle is planned for tomorrow on the way out to kilarney,

Thanks!

Thanks"

Mentioned in this post
Kinsale
Kinsale
County Cork, Ireland
Blarney
Blarney
County Cork, Ireland
cork
Level Contributor
234 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Urgent - help needed where to go around Cork

My advise would be to go to Fota now. It's a lovely morning and Fota will be nice with the sun shining. You'll be able to chill and take your time. Kinsale is at least 30 minutes each way, you'd only end up clock watching for the day to get to Fota. After Fota, Cobh is nice but if the sun is still shining I'd head towards Midleton, turn right at the roundabout and head for the coast, out to Roches point and explore the beaches and coastline with the kids, collect shells and coral. The simpe things..........and all free.

Mentioned in this post
Kinsale
Kinsale
County Cork, Ireland
Cobh
Cobh
County Cork, Ireland
Midleton
Midleton
County Cork, Ireland
D F
Europe
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Urgent - help needed where to go around Cork

Good points, we are just about to finish breakfast anyways at the Garnish house (what a breakfast!) So we are late anyway. Will head to Fota now, it's Getting a bit cloudy now, I hope it stays nice.

Thank you

Mentioned in this post
Garnish
Garnish
County Cork, Ireland
cork
Level Contributor
234 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Urgent - help needed where to go around Cork

Enjoy the day. If you opt for the coast later you need to head to Whitegate. Go straight through Whitegate heading for Roches point. On this road on your right you'll see a big car park. There is a path from here to the beach. Roches point itself is at the mouth of Cork harbour and has a light house. It's a small quaint place with lovely views. If you head back to Whitegate and turn right you can head out the coast a bit more and explore, there are a few small beaches out that way. The kids will love searching the rock pools for sea life and crabs and looking for shells, polished stones and pirates treasure !

YOu will pass a petrol station just after the roundabout at Midleton too. I'm sure it has a deli if you need to pick up a picnic.

Mentioned in this post
Whitegate
Whitegate
County Cork, Ireland
Midleton
Midleton
County Cork, Ireland
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
3,651 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Urgent - help needed where to go around Cork

Don't know if it's too late, but most of East Cork's beaches are closed because of water quality problems. Best to keep going beyond Youghal to Ardmore, which has a lovely beach and is a quite nice village in it's own right.

Mentioned in this post
Youghal
Youghal
County Cork, Ireland
Ireland
Level Contributor
80 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Urgent - help needed where to go around Cork

I took my 3 year old granddaughter to RUMLEYS OPEN FARM last week.Its well sign posted out the Bandon/west Cork main road.

www.rumleysfarm.ie/ it was pouring with rain but there are indoor play areas,a sand room,crazy golf as well as animals and 11 baby piglets - we just dressed up and got on with it!they really loved it and we had a nice lunch there afterwards.I would be wary of Blarney castle unless the kids are very quiet as theres a steep winding stairs up to the top with a lot of potential for falls/accidents.my nerves certainly wouldn't stand it!Yesterday we went to Fitzgeralds park(near Garnish)-they put in a morning there in the playground and we had a coffee in the lovely little cafe.Hope you have a good time!

Mentioned in this post
Bandon
Bandon
County Cork, Ireland
Blarney
Blarney
County Cork, Ireland
Garnish
Garnish
County Cork, Ireland
6. Re: Urgent - help needed where to go around Cork

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2013, 06:15