We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

December

Durban, South Africa
Level Contributor
38 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
December

Hi - am staying at the Clarion Hotel in cork from the 17 to the 19th of December with my 24 year old son. would like to know about good restaurants or shows that are open during this time.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
3,619 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: December

At the moment, Oysters, which is the restaurant in the Clarion is top ranked in Cork on TripAdvisor, although I can't give a personal recommendation, not having eaten there.

You can't go too far wrong with the second ranked restaurant either - Strasbourg Goose. While it's not gourmet, it's definitely the best value for money in town. The only problem is that you will normally need a booking.

Cafe Paradiso is a very highly rated vegetarian restaurant, which has frequently won awards as the best vegetarian restaurant in the British Isles (please nobody kill me for writing those words...).

In the most formal category of restaurants, the normal standard-bearers are Jacob's On The Mall, the Ivory Tower and Les Gourmandises. Of these, I find Jacob's a little dull, the kind of place you'd bring a business client too, knowing it will be reliable. The Ivory Tower is hit and miss; when it's good, it's very good, but it needs more consistently high standards (especially in terms of service) for the prices it charges. Les Gourmandises is my favourite of the high end restaurants.

At the mid level, you can't go too far wrong with Cafe Bar Deli, Isaac's, Il Padrino (Italian), Market Lane, Electric or The Ambassasor (Chinese).

Going down to the most casual level, consider The Liberty Grill, The Gourmet Burger Bistro, Cafe Italee (not open in the evenings) or Cafe Gusto

As regards shows, you have the misfortune to be coming during panto season, which means that the theatres will fill up with child-oriented Christmas plays. Doing a quick check, Duke Special is playing at the Opera House on the 17th. Keep an eye on http://www.whazon.com/ for listings, since a lot of live music and performances in smaller theatres will be confirmed closer to the date.

Mentioned in this post
Strasbourg Goose
Strasbourg Goose
1,290 Reviews
Cork, Ireland
Cafe Paradiso
Cafe Paradiso
927 Reviews
Cork, Ireland
Jacob's on the Mall
Jacob's on the Mall
577 Reviews
Cork, Ireland
Les Gourmandises
Les Gourmandises
404 Reviews
Cork, Ireland
Il Padrino
Il Padrino
620 Reviews
Cork, Ireland
Market Lane
Market Lane
3,197 Reviews
Cork, Ireland
Liberty Grill
Liberty Grill
1,424 Reviews
Cork, Ireland
Gourmet Burger Bistro
Gourmet Burger Bistro
719 Reviews
Cork, Ireland
Cafe Gusto
Cafe Gusto
121 Reviews
Cork, Ireland
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,816 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: December

Donna, without having to list a whole range of restaurants for you will you let us know:

a: What type of eating out you like?

b:Will you be expecting a 1, 2 or 3 (or more) courses.

With regards to shows, www.whazon.com is a good site to watch. It is very accurate and lists most happenings in Cork on a monthly basis.

The venues to keep an eye on are:

Cork Opera House

Everyman Palace Theatre

Half Moon Theatre

The Pavilion (live music venue)

Granary Theatre (small intimate theatre)

Cork Arts Theatre (ditto)

Firkin Crane (ditto)

City Limits -(comedy club)

Unfortunately because of the time of year, most of the above will not be showing anything during the period you are here.

Mentioned in this post
The Pavilion
The Pavilion
28 Reviews
Cork, Ireland
Cork Arts Theatre
Cork Arts Theatre
8 Reviews
Cork, Ireland
Durban, South Africa
Level Contributor
38 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: December

Hi - we are very casual eaters - not fine diners. Nice pubs with pies, burgers, festive music and good whiskey. My son is 24 and is into heavy metal. We really want to take time to breathe, relax and get into the festive spirit.

No dressing up or fine dining for us. would really love to see some dancing or a show though

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
3,619 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: December

If your son is into Heavy Metal, make sure he gets along to Fred Zeppelins bar on Parliament St. He won't be disappointed.

Mentioned in this post
Fred Zeppelins
Fred Zeppelins
14 Reviews
Cork, Ireland
Durban, South Africa
Level Contributor
38 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: December

thanks i will tell him

6. Re: December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 November 2013, 10:15
Get answers to your questions about Cork